These air fryer chicken tacos are the ultimate fresh, easy, healthy weeknight meal. Chicken pieces are tossed in taco seasonings served in warm tortillas with creamy corn cabbage slaw.
We’re absolutely obsessed with these chicken tacos made in the air fryer! If you’re a fan of my shrimp tacos, you’re bound to adore this dish as well. These tacos make for a simple and nutritious dinner option, using just a handful of ingredients. We pair them with a delicious yoghurt sauce and a refreshing corn coleslaw.
To prepare, we coat chicken breast pieces in taco seasoning and cook them in the air fryer. In just about 15 minutes, they’re ready to be enjoyed, making them ideal for those hectic weeknights when you crave a quick and satisfying dinner.
Ingredients you’ll need
To make these air fryer chicken tacos you’ll need a mix of spices, a few ingredients for the slaw and yogurt sauce.
- Chicken: I used skinless chicken breasts but you can use chicken thigh if you prefer, just note the cooking time may need to be adjusted.
- Olive oil or avocado oil.
- Taco seasoning: I used my homemade taco seasoning blend.
- Shredded green cabbage
- Fresh corn kernels
- Coriander (cilantro)
- Spring onions (green onions)
- Plain greek yoghurt
- Lime juice
- Flour tortillas of choice
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
How to make air fryer chicken tacos
Season chicken: In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, olive oil and seasonings. Toss well.
Air fry chicken: Place the chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 190C/ 380F for 8-12 minutes, shaking the basket halfway.
Yoghurt sauce: Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
Slaw: Toss the cabbage, coriander ad green onions with the yogurt sauce, leaving a few tablespoons aside to serve.
Assemble the tacos and enjoy.
How to store
- Make ahead: The yogurt sauce can be made the day before.
- Refrigerator: Store leftover air fried chicken separately in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Store leftover yoghurt sauce in an airtight container for up to 4 days. I recommend storing the sauce separate from the slaw so it does not get soggy. Dress right before serving*.
- Reheating: Reheat the leftover air fryer chicken in the microwave in 15-20 second intervals or in the air fryer at 350F/ 170C until warmed through. Assemble air fryer chicken tacos or enjoy in a salad.
Tips and tricks
- Do not overfill the air fryer. The chicken should not be overlapping. This allows the air to circulate and for them to cook evenly. Cook in batches if needed.
- Do not overcook the chicken. I recommend checking the chicken after 8 minutes to see if they are ready. Overcooked chicken breast will be dry and rubbery.
- Dress the slaw right before serving. This is so it does not get soggy. Only dress what you intend to eat.
- Spicy: Use ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
- Gluten-free: Use grain free almond flour tortillas or gluten free corn tortillas.
- Dairy-free: Use dairy-free yoghurt or mayo. Cashew cream works well here.
- Salad bowl: Instead of serving the chicken and accompaniments in a tortilla you can serve them over cauliflower rice, rice or quinoa.
- Slaw: Use a bag of pre shredded slaw mix instead to save time.
Technically you don’t need an air fryer; you can bake the chicken in the chicken or cook one the stovetop.
Chicken breast or chicken thighs are perfect for tacos, but it’s really a personal preference what to use.
Air fryer shrimp take anywhere from 8-12 minutes at 200C/ 400F depending on the size and cut of meat.
Other taco recipes to try
If you try this air fryer chicken tacos recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
These air fryer chicken tacos are the ultimate fresh, easy healthy weeknight meal. Chicken pieces are tossed in taco seasonings served in wizen tortillas with creamy corn cabbage slaw.
- 500g chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 cup coriander (cilantro)
- 1/2 cup sliced spring onions
- 1/2 cup plain yoghurt
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 flour tortillas, to serve
- Season chicken: In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, olive oil and seasonings. Toss well.
- Air fry chicken: Place the chicken in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 190C/380F for 8-12 minutes, shaking the basket halfway.
- Yoghurt sauce: Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Slaw: Toss the cabbage, coriander, spring onions with the yogurt sauce, leaving a few tablespoons aside to serve.
- Assemble the tacos and enjoy.
- Store leftover air fried chicken separately in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Store leftover slaw undressed so it does not get soggy, dress it right before serving.*
Keywords: tacos, chicken tacos, chicken recipes