These healthier air fryer potato croquettes are the perfect way to use leftover mashed potatoes. Soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, the best side dish or appetiser to any meal!
Holy moly! These air fryer potato croquettes are my new favourite recipe to make with leftover mashed potatoes!!
They have a warm, tender but fluffy interior and are crispy on the outside. Instead of deep frying them we cook them in the air fryer!
The best thing about this recipe is you can add anything that you want. Stuff the centre with mozzarella, add some bacon or green onions. They are such an easy bite size snack to make, are kid friendly and go well with any meal. You will find yourself making these on repeat; they are that good!
What are croquettes?
Croquettes are a versatile little cake or ball. You can fill them with ground meat, tuna, potatoes, veggies. The only rule is they must be rolled in breadcrumbs and then fried or baked. Or in this case air fried!
Ingredients you’ll need
The best thing about these potato croquettes in the air fryer is that you only need a handful of simple ingredients.
- Mashed potatoes: I used cold plain mashed plain potatoes but you can also use leftover traditional mashed potatoes with cream and butter.
- Herbs: I used freshly minced parsley, but you can also add dried herbs if that’s all you have.
- Parmesan cheese: optional, but adds a really yummy flavour!
- Garlic powder
- Salt + pepper
- Breadcrumbs: I used gluten free rice breadcrumbs but Italian bread crumbs or even almond meal will work.
- Olive oil spray
How to make air fryer potato croquettes
Start by making homemade mashed potatoes. The key is to make sure that the mashed potatoes are COLD before starting— so cook and mash them the night before.
Mix: Add the mashed potatoes to a bowl along with the parsley, garlic powder, egg, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
Form into croquettes: Use your hands to shape the potato mixture into croquettes and place the bread crumbs in a seperate bowl.
Crumb: Roll the croquettes into the breadcrumb mixture and coat them, place them into a greased air fryer basket. Lightly spray with oil.
Air fry: When the basket is full, air fry at 180C/ 350F for 15 minutes. Flip the potato croquettes halfway during the cooking process.
- Oven bake: You can easily bake them at 180C/ 350F for 15 minutes. Flip them halfway, so both sides get crunchy.
- Do not crowd your air fryer basket or tray: You need to space them out to allow the hot air to circulate around the potato to perfectly crisp them out.
- Shape: Usually croquettes are shaped like a cylinder shape, but I found it easier to just roll them into oval balls, feel free to shape as you like.
Variations & modifications
These are a versatile recipe, you can add anything that you want! Here are some suggestions:
- Cheese: Stuff with cheddar or mozzarella cheese cubes in the centre.
- Meat: Cooked bacon bits, cooked sausage or chorizo sausage.
- Fish: Cooked or canned salmon or tuna.
- Vegetables: Finely sliced green onions, chives or minced olives
- Seasonings: Parsley, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt.
How to store
You can refrigerate leftover air fryer potato croquettes after they have cooled in an airtight container, for 3 to 4 days.
To reheat: Place them into the air fryer or microwave and heat until warmed up.
To freeze: prepare them as directed. Once cooled, place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper then pop into the freezer. Freeze until frozen solid. Then remove them from the baking tray and place them into a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. They will last between 1 to 2 months.
How to get crunchy croquettes?
For crunchy air fryer potato croquettes, I recommend that you use a crispy breadcrumb like panko and spray them generously with cooking oil spray.
What to serve with croquettes?
They are a great appetiser, served with your favourite dipping sauce. Marinara sauce, tomato sauce, mayonnaise or creamy yogurt yoghurt sauce are my go-to’s
Are potato croquettes gluten free?
Simply use gluten-free breadcrumbs or almond meal when making these.
Other easy appetiser recipes
Gluten Free Air Fryer Pizza Rolls
Air Fryer Fingerling Potatoes with Herb Tahini
If you try this air fryer potato croquettes recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Air Fryer Potato Croquettes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Makes 16 1x
- Category: Appetiser, snack
- Method: Air fry
- Cuisine: International
These air fryer potato croquettes are the perfect way to use leftover mashed potatoes! Soft on the inside and crispy on the outside, the and best side dish or appetiser to any meal!
- 2 cups (450g) mashed potatoes*
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese or dairy free cheese
- 1 egg*
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (wholemeal, gluten free or Panko)
- Olive oil spray
- In a large bowl, add the mashed potatoes to a bowl along with the parsley, garlic powder, egg, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Use your hands to shape the potato mixture into croquettes and place the breadcrumbs in a seperate bowl.
- Roll the croquettes in the breadcrumb mixture to coat them. Place thr croquettes into a greased air fryer basket orr line with baking paper. Lightly spray with oil.
- When the basket is full, air fry at 180C/ 350F for 15 minutes. Flip the potato croquettes halfway during the cooking process.
- If using traditional mashed potatoes (with butter and cream), omit the egg from the potato mixture. Instead, whisk the egg and dip the croquettes into the egg mixture before rolling in breadcrumbs.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3-4 days in an air tight container.
Keywords: potato croquettes, croquettes, gluten free, mashed potatoes
[…] Air Fryer Potato Croquettes […]
[…] Air Fryer Potato Croquettes […]