These baked broccoli pumpkin tots are the ultimate veggie side dish or finger food snack. Made with steamed broccoli, pumpkin puree and dried herbs then baked until crispy. These broccoli tots are gluten-free, super flavourful and easy to whip up!
Searching for the best ever veggie side dish to make for game day, burger night or any other fun occasion? Look no further friends.
These broccoli pumpkin tots are the BEST appetiser to serve at dinner or to enjoy as a snack with your favourite dipping sauce. They are so tasty, easy to whip up and have the best crispy outside and soft delicious inside texture.
To be honest I have a thing for making veggie tot recipes. I try a new combo every few weeks and this recipe is one I keep coming back to. I’ve “tested” them at least eight times now and my family still can’t get enough of them! Plus, I’ve been on a serious pumpkin kick lately and can’t stop thinking of new ways to use it! I highly recommend you made a double batch to freeze for later because I guarantee these will become a new household favourite!
Ingredients you’ll need
In this recipe, broccoli and pumpkin is mixed with a few simple ingredients then formed into tots and baked until golden for the yummiest broccoli pumpkin tots ever!
Here is everything you will need, plus ingredient substitutions as noted:
- Broccoli – the key ingredient in these tots! We use finely chopped steamed broccoli florets but defrosted broccoli will also work too.
- Pumpkin – I used homemade pumpkin puree (steamed pumpkin blended in my vitamix), but canned 100% pumpkin puree is perfect if have it. Just make sure to get one with no added sugar. If you’re not a fan of pumpkin, use sweet potato puree instead.
- Egg – one egg to help bind the tots together.
- Parmesan cheese – a great way to add delicious, cheesy flavour and a boost of protein to these healthy cauliflower tots.
- Gluten-free breadcrumbs of choice –to bind these pumpkin broccoli tots together and keeps them nut free, gluten free and grain free grain free. I blend 100% brown rice crackers in my food processor to make easy homemade breadcrumbs (any kind will work!). Use almond meal for a grain free version instead.
- Dried herbs –to give these tots a slight herby flavour. Add or sub a little garlic powder instead if you prefer.
- Salt + pepper –for the perfect amount of seasoning.
- Dipping sauce – serve with your favourite sauce. I used a simple combo of Greek yoghurt mixed with tahini and tomato sauce for these!
How to make baked pumpkin broccoli tots
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Prepare broccoli: lightly steam broccoli florets until they are fork tender then finely chop into tiny pieces. Alternatively defrost a bag of frozen broccoli in the microwave.
- Mix: Add everything to a large bowl and use a rubber spatula to mix everything together. Allow the mixture to rest for 5-10 minutes so it can thicken up and come together.
- Form into tots: Use your hands to form the mixture into 42 tablespoon sized “tater” tots, then place them on a baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake: one the tots are form bake in the oven at 160ºC/ 350ºF ºF for about 30 minutes, until golden brown. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn!
- Serve: enjoy the warm pumpkin broccoli tots with your favourite dipping sauce, if desired.
Making dietary modifications
- Gluten-Free: Ensure you use gluten free breadcrumbs or use blended up brown rice crackers like I did here. To make healthier homemade breadcrumbs out of rice crackers simply blend a whole packet in a food processor until you have a breadcrumb consistency. This is my go to for all recipes!
- Grain-Free: Simply replace the breadcrumb with equal amounts (1 cup) of almond meal. To make them nut free use 6-7 tablespoons of coconut flour instead.
- Dairy-Free: omit the parmesan cheese and use vegan cheese or nutritional yeast instead.
How to store broccoli pumpkin tots
- In the fridge: Any leftover tots can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.
- To reheat: Place the tots on a baking sheet and bake them on high for a couple of minutes until heated through and crispy on the outside.
- In the freezer: These pumpkin broccoli tots are very freezer friendly, so make a double batch! Let the tots cool completely before transferringthem to a freezer friendly bag or container. Freeze them for up to 3 months. To reheat, simply bake them from frozen as directed.
Broccoli nutrition benefits
Broccoli is a green cruciferous vegetable high in micronutrients including vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, folate, potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and magnesium. It is one of the highest sources of vitamin C, with one cup providing 135% of your daily vitamin C needs! Additionally, that same 1 cup provides 2.3 grams of fibre, (about 9% of your daily fibre needs) which is known to help with digestion, heart health, blood sugar control, and weight management. Broccoli is also high in beneficial plant compounds like sulforaphane and antioxidants like carotenoids.
More veggie side dishes to try
If you try this baked broccoli pumpkin tots recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
These baked broccoli pumpkin tots are the ultimate veggie side dish or finger food snack. Made with gluten-free ingredients, super flavourful and easy to whip up!
- 2 cups (250g) finely chopped cooked broccoli
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup crushed gluten-free crackers or breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- a few grinds of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Combine everything in a bowl and mix until well. Allow the mixture to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F. line a baking tray with baking paper and lightly spray with olive oil spray.
- Use your hands to form 42 tablespoon sized oval tots, about 1 inch long by ½ inch wide. Place them on the baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden. Serve with your favourite dipping sauce.
- To make grain free replace breadcrumbs with equal amounts of almond meal or 6-7 tablespoons coconut flour.
Keywords: pumpkin broccoli tots, broccoli tots, pumpkin tots, broccoli pumpkin tots,