These baked mushroom sweet potato tacos are a delicious meat-free meal everybody will love. Made with all gluten free + vegan ingredients for an easy healthy weeknight dinner recipe.
OH MY GOSH EVERYBODY!
I can’t get over these tacos. They’re easily one of the best, if not the best, vegan tacos I’ve ever made.
There is nothing boring about these healthy mushroom sweet potato tacos. I’m 100% confidant you will love them as much as we do! They’re gluten free, oven baked and absolutely delicious!
Mushrooms have an amazing meaty texture, and when combined with lentils they make a great meat substitute. All you have to do is dice them and cook in a pan with some seasoning and tomato sauce. So simple yet so flavourful! Plus, the cheesy sweet potato mash really takes these tacos to a whole new level.
Ingredients you’ll need
In this recipe, lentils and mushrooms are cooked with spices and cheesy sweet potato mash is spread tortillas for a delicious and hearty mushroom sweet potato tacos that are guaranteed to please! Here is everything you will need:
- Lentils: canned brown lentils
- Onion: any onion you prefer
- Tomatoes: canned or a couple fresh tomatoes both work
- Taco seasoning
- Bottom mushrooms: or your favourite mushrooms
- Sweet potato: You’ll need 1 cup mashed or puree.
- Vegan cream cheese: I used cashew cheese but regular works too!
- Shredded non-dairy cheese: or use regular cheese for dairy option. Cheddar tastes great too!
- Tortillas: Use your favourite tortillas, corn or flour.
How to make the best sweet potato mushroom tacos
The hardest part is folding the tacos, but once done it’s easy as can be!
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
Start by making the lentil mushroom taco meat. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add oil, mushrooms and onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until fragrant. Add in the lentils and seasonings and mix well so everything is evenly combined. Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes
In a medium bowl combine the mashed sweet potato with the cashew cheese. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 180C/350F
Warm the tortillas in microwave for about 30 seconds so they are pliable then lightly grease them
Lay each tortilla flat onto the baking sheet and spread 1 tablespoon of sweet potato on half the tortilla, followed by 2 tablespoons of lentil mixture and top with a light sprinkle of cheese.
Fold tortillas in half, gently pressing down gently to seal—when I fold mine I usually wrap them in foil to help them stay in form!).
Spray the tops of the tacos with oil so they get crispy
Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tacos are golden brown and crisp.
Serve with desired toppings while warm!
Baked taco toppings
Tacos just wouldn’t be the same without a generous array of toppings to choose from. Top all of the mushroom sweet potato tacos at once right on the pan, this makes for easy serving! Otherwise, create a taco bar and let everyone add their favourite toppings. Here are our favourites:
- Sauces: pico de gallo, salsa, guacamole, cashew sour cream, Greek yoghurt or tahini sauce
- Fresh toppings: chopped coriander (cilantro), lettuce, tomatoes, lime, red cabbage slaw
- Spicy: jalapenos, chipotle, sriracha, garlic paste for extra heat!
How to store + reheat
- Refrigerator: leftovers will keep in the refrigerator in a covered container or for up to 5 days.
- Reheat: these vegan baked tacos are best reheated in an oven or air fryer. I’d reheat them using the same temperature you cooked them at for 2-4 minutes. They won’t take long to get crispy and warm throughout. You can microwave, but the shells might get a little chewy instead of crispy.
A few of my other favorite healthy dinner recipes:
Vegan Lentil Cauliflower Taquitos
Warm Cheesy Kale Mushroom Quinoa Salad
If you try this mushroom sweet potato tacos recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Baked Sweet Potato Mushroom Tacos
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 tacos 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
These baked sweet potato mushroom tacos are a delicious meat-free meal everybody will love. Made with all gluten free + vegan ingredients for an easy healthy weeknight dinner recipe.
- Extra virgin olive oil or olive oil spray
- 1 can brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 brown onion, diced
- ½ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 3 cups (250g/ 9oz) button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup (250g) sweet potato puree/ mashed
- 2 tablespoons vegan cashew cheese *
- ~1/2 cup shredded non-dairy cheese
- 8–10 soft corn tortillas for choice
- Guacamole, salsa, cheese to serve
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil, mushrooms and onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until fragrant
- Add in the lentils and seasonings and mix well so everything is evenly combined
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes
- In a medium bowl combine the mashed sweet potato with the cashew cheese. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- Warm the tortillas in microwave for about 30 seconds so they are pliable then lightly grease them
- Lay each tortilla flat onto the baking sheet and spread 1 tablespoon of sweet potato on half the tortilla, followed by 2 tablespoons of lentil mixture and top with a light sprinkle of cheese.
- Fold tortillas in half, gently pressing down gently to seal—when I fold mine I usually wrap them in foil to help them stay in form!).
- Spray the tops of the tacos with oil so they get crispy
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tacos are golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with desired toppings while warm!
* Sub your favourite type of cream cheese (dairy works too!)
Keywords: vegan tacos, lentil tacos, sweet potato mushroom tacos, tacos
Made these last night and they were AMAZING!!! Defiantly will make again. Great recipe! 🙂
Caitlin Rule says
Hi Kate, yay! I’m so happy you enjoyed them! Thank you for sharing ????
Made these the other week they were amazing and was still great the next day for leftovers
Caitlin Rule says
Hi Jayde, I’m so glad that you liked them! I love eating them cold for lunch the next day– so good! xx
Sarah Murphy says
Thank you Caitlin for the recipe. My husband and I really enjoyed the sweet potato tacos. We will certainly make them again.
Great work Caitlin. ????
Caitlin Rule says
Hi Sarah, I’m so happy you both loved them! Thanks for your support! ????