This broccoli crunch salad combines raw broccoli, apple, capsicum, cranberries and sunflower seeds in a creamy tahini yoghurt dressing. It’s such an easy, nutritious salad perfect for spring and summer!
Looking for a new and delicious way to enjoy broccoli? You will love this raw broccoli salad without mayo.
Have you tried raw broccoli in salad before? This broccoli crunch salad is one everyone will go crazy over. It’s a healthier spin on the classic and filled with simple whole food ingredients.
You are going to love this broccoli salad without mayo. The texture is incredible. Raw broccoli is combined with sweet crisp apples, tart cranberries, capsicum (bell pepper), crunchy sunflower seeds in a delicious creamy tahini yoghurt dressing. It’s light, refreshing and so tasty. This is a great picnic salad, perfect for entertaining or serve as a side dish for dinner. We served it grilled chicken and pita bread the other night and it was a hit!
Ingredients you’ll need
All you need to make this broccoli crunch salad are 12 simple, healthy ingredients:
- Broccoli: this broccoli salad uses about 3 broccoli heads, cut into bite sized florets.
- Sunflower seeds: I used raw sunflower seeds but you can also use roasted sunflower seeds.
- Dried cranberries: add tartness and sweetness to the salad.
- Red onion: adds a little little kick.
- Capsicum (bell pepper): use a red one for sweetness.
- Apple: use any sweet variety you like. I love using pink lady or gala.
- Carrots: you’ll need 2 grated carrots here
- Yoghurt: I used low fat plain greek yoghurt to make the cream sauce.
- Tahini: to make the delicious dressing
- White wine vinegar: adds a touch of acidity to the dressing. Can sub with rice vinegar.
- Honey: just a touch to balance out the sauce.
- Dijon mustard + garlic powder: flavour enhancers!
- Salt + black pepper
How to make broccoli crunch salad
First, prep your veggies: Chop, dice and grate. Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl.
In a separate bowl or jar, whisk the dressing ingredients: yoghurt, vinegar, tahini, mustard, honey, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Combine everything together: Pour the dressing over top of the salad and mix until everything is well coated and combined. Serve and enjoy!
How to Serve
You can serve the broccoli crunch salad right away if you like or put in the refrigerator to chill. I think it tastes better after a few hours in the fridge- the veggies absorb and the flavours and the broccoli softens just a bit in the dressing. Garnish the top with extra sunflower seeds right before serving.
- Pair with poached or grilled chicken.
- Spinach Feta Salmon Burgers
- Stuff into pita bread.
- Pile on to toast or grilled with shredded cheese on top. Like my Loaded Cheesy Corn Toast recipe.
How to store
Because the broccoli is raw, it retains it’s crunch and tastes even better the next day. You can refrigerate this raw broccoli salad in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Be sure to toss it before serving.
- Dried fruit: Raisins or goji berries can be used instead of the dried cranberries.
- Nuts/ seeds: You can substitute slivered almonds, walnuts or roasted pumpkin seeds instead of sunflower seeds.
- Dairy free: use non dairy yoghurt or increase the amount of tahini to make a lemon tahini dressing.
- Protein boosters: add a can of chickpeas, some green peas or edamame beans!
Can you eat broccoli raw in a salad?
Yes! It can be served raw in salads or with dips. It’s crunchy, rich in nutrients and there isn’t much taste difference opposed to cooked, so I don’t bother to blanch it.
Can I blanch the broccoli first?
I have only made this salad with raw broccoli. If you don’t like raw broccoli you can blanch it in a pot of boiling salted water for one minute. Remove, and rinse under cold water to stop it cooking. Add to recipe as directed. This will make the broccoli more tender and you will have less crunch to your salad.
What do broccoli stems taste like?
The broccoli stems taste a lot like the florets, just crunchier. Cut them small and you won’t even notice them.
More nutritious salad recipes
If you try this broccoli crunch salad recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
This broccoli crunch salad combines raw broccoli, apple, peppers, cranberries and sunflower seeds in a creamy tahini yoghurt dressing, It’s such an easy, nutritious salad perfect for spring and summer!
- 350g broccoli florets (about 3 heads)
- 1 red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 apple, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/3 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup plain greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Chop, dice and grate the veggies then add all salad ingredients to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk the dressing ingredients: yoghurt, vinegar, tahini, mustard, honey, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix until everything is well coated and combined. Serve and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Keywords: broccoli, crunch salad, raw broccoli, tahini, healthy, summer