This creamy broccoli lentil dahl curry is the ultimate comfort food recipe! It’s quick and easy, made in one pot and packed with plant-based protein. A nourishing + flavourful red lentil dahl made with wholesome vegan ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup (185g) red split lentils, rinsed
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup canned coconut milk*
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coriander/ cilantro, chopped
- Plain yoghurt (or coconut yoghurt)
- Optional- pickled red onions, black sesame seeds
- Basmati rice, pappadums etc
- Rinse the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear.
- Heat coconut oil in a pot or large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and capsicum and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric and ground ginger, and stir for 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, water, coconut milk and salt and ix well. Bring to simmer, then place lid on and adjust heat to low / medium low so it’s simmering gently.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, covered with the lid.
- Add the broccoli and stir then remove lid and simmer for a further 10 minutes to reduce the sauce and soften the broccoli. The lentils should be soft and sauce should be thickened and creamy. If too thick, add a splash of water, and if too thin, simmer with lid off for a further 5 minutes*.
- Stir through half the coriander, then taste and add more salt if needed.
- Serve over basmati rice, with pappadums or naan bread sprinkled with more coriander, pickled onions if desired and a dollop of yogurt.
*full fat coconut milk tastes best but light coconut milk or cashew milk also also work.
Keywords: broccoli lentil curry, dahl, dal, broccoli lentil dal