Healthy buffalo tuna salad with greek yoghurt puts a tangy and spicy spin on the classic tuna salad and ready in 10 minutes! It’s easy to make, great served as a salad, on bread or lettuce wraps!
The addition of buffalo sauce to tuna salad is absolutely amazing. Ever since I first tried this combination a few months ago, I’ve become completely addicted. Unlike the traditional version, this buffalo tuna salad is incredibly satisfying, packed with crunchy vegetables, has greek yoghurt instead of mayonnaise, and a touch of spicy buffalo sauce.
It has quickly become my go-to recipe for a quick and delicious meal. Whether it’s lunch, dinner or a snack, you can enjoy this salad any time of day. Personally, I love preparing a batch to have a speedy lunch at home. You can enjoy it as a salad, wrap it up, or even enjoy it on crackers for a light meal.
Once you’ve perfected this recipe, be sure to give my Mexican tuna salad a whirl!
Ingredients you’ll need
All you need are 9 key ingredients to make this healthy buffalo tuna salad recipe.
- Tuna: I like to use a good quality one in spring water.
- Veggies: Celery, capsicum, carrot and onion add a wonderful crunchy texture as well as a hit of freshness. I like red onion here. Mince it finely so that it’s not overpowering.
- Buffalo sauce: I used Franks buffalo sauce to make the spicy tuna salad.
- Greek yogurt: I use low fat Greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise, to make this wonderfully creamy.
- Garlic powder: Compliments the buffalo sauce beautifully.
- Coriander (cilantro): I love sprinkling finely chopped coriander on top at the end to make it fresh tasting. You can use other fresh herbs like parsley or basil.
How to make buffalo tuna salad
Dice all of the ingredients very finely. This will make everything easier to combine and eat.
Flake the tuna: In a mixing bowl, mash the tuna chunks with a fork to break them apart.
Combine: Add the chopped celery, carrot, capsicum, onion, yoghurt, buffalo sauce, garlic powder and salt. Gently mix together until well combined.
You can serve it immediately or let it chill in the fridge for half hour.
Garnish with coriander (cilantro) before serving if desired.
Substitutions & Variations:
- Instead of greek yoghurt use natural yogurt or a plain non-dairy yoghurt if needed.
- For more protein try adding in hard-boiled eggs pr replace the yoghurt with cottage cheese.
- Fresh herbs like parsley or basil would be yummy additions.
- Add other veggies like diced cucumber, white onion instead of red onion or finely chopped spinach leaves.
Ways to serve
- Sandwich: Make a spicy tuna salad sandwich! Use it as a filling between two slices of sourdough, or a bagel.
- On lettuce: I love serving it in lettuce wraps for a lighter option.
- Wrap: Try using a large flatbread, tortilla, or pita pocket for your buffalo tuna salad.
- As a snack plate: You can even serve this buffalo tuna dip with some veggie sticks, greens and crackers.
How to store
Store any leftover buffalo tuna salad in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Buffalo sauce is smooth, rich and spicy, and there’s nothing else quite like it! You can try substituting it with a hot sauce or sriracha, but add a little at a time because they tend to have a harsher and more spicy flavour. Adding 1/2 a teaspoon of white vinegar can help with the acidity too.
Yes, you can freeze tuna salad. However the Greek yoghurt may release extra moisture, so you may find that you need to drain it after you thaw the tuna. You can liven it up with fresh celery and capsicum if necessary.
I made this tuna salad with skipjack tuna in spring water. It has a milder flavour compared to solid white albacore and a slightly softer texture. Any canned tuna will work well, but I recommend not using one that is packed in oil.
Other lunch recipes
If you try this buffalo tuna salad or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you makePrint
Healthy buffalo tuna salad with greek yoghurt puts a tangy and spicy spin on the classic tuna salad and is ready in 10 minutes! It’s easy to make, great served as a salad, on bread or lettuce wraps!
- 425g/ 15oz can tuna in spring water
- 1/2 cup red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled + diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup plain greek yoghurt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt + pepper
- 1 tablespoon coriander (cilantro), optional
- In a mixing bowl, mash the tuna chunks with a fork to break them apart.
- Add the chopped celery, carrot, capsicum, onion, yoghurt, buffalo sauce, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Gently mix together until well combined.
- Serve immediately or chill it in the fridge for half hour.
- Garnish with coriander (cilantro) before serving if desired.
Store leftover salad in a airtight container in the fridge for up 3-4 days.
Keywords: buffalo tunna salad, tuna salad, spicy tuna salad