Delicious crispy blackened tofu tacos for a vegan twist on blackened fish tacos! Tofu is seasoned in Cajun spices then stuffed into tortillas with a creamy slaw and avocado for a quick and easy dinner recipe.
I feel like tacos are one of the easiest foods to make plant-based. Tofu is a great meat substitute, packed with protein, and it’s relatively inexpensive.
These Crispy Blackened Tofu tacos are a fun delicious spin for your next #meatfreemonday night. They cook in just 10 minutes or less and the whole recipe itself can come together in about 15 minutes. Tofu is rubbed in Cajun spices, seared until crispy and pairs beautifully with a creamy slaw and mashed avocado. Super simple yet so tasty.
This recipe is such an easy way to spice up your weeknight dinner routine and makes that boring tofu taste 1000 times better. Once you try well-seasoned tofu like this, I’m sure it will convert a tofu hater into a tofu lover. Plus, leftovers make an epic burrito bowl the next day too!
What ingredients you’ll need
In this recipe, tofu is cooked with spices and served in tortillas with a quick and easy slaw for the most flavourful blackened tofu tacos! Here is everything you will need:
- Tofu: you’ll need extra firm tofu for this blackened tofu recipe. It’s solid, making the texture firmer and ‘meaty’. Plus, because it’s so solid it doesn’t need to be pressed, just open the package and cut into slabs.
- Spices and seasonings: don’t be overwhelmed by the long list of spices. You probably already have them in your spice rack. We use a combination of tamari, Paprika, black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme and salt. Feel free to play with this part of the recipe to suit your personal preferences.
- Shredded slaw: you can use a bag of store-bought slaw mix or shred some beetroot, carrot and broccoli stems yourself.
- Avocado: a key ingredient for good tacos if you ask me!
- Yoghurt: either greek yoghurt or coconut yoghurt to keep it dairy free
- Tahini: adds a delicious flavour to the slaw. Optional but highly recommended
- Tortillas of choice: anything works (corn, flour, grain-free).
- Fresh coriander and lime juice for serving
How to make blackened tofu tacos
I’ll be the first to admit, there’s a lot to the ingredient list here. It can be overwhelming but with proper planning you can easily make this a weeknight meal.
Prepare the tofu: slice your tofu lengthwise in 1/2-inch strips. You can also cut it into rectangles if you prefer. Place in a shallow dish with tamari to soak, turning after a few minutes for the other side. Meanwhile, combine the spice in a medium bowl then place in tofu pieces, gently pressing to coat all sides.
Prepare the slaw: Mix the slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Place in fridge so everything really marinates together
Cook tofu: In a large pan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat, add coated tofu and cook 5 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
- Serve warm and enjoy! Serve the tofu warm in tortillas of your choice, with the slaw, avocado, coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.
How to store leftovers
Leftover blackened tofu can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. The slaw will hold up well for a few days when sealed and refrigerated.
Tofu Nutrition Benefits
Tofu is made from curdled soy milk that is pressed into solid blocks. It’s a great source of plant-based protein, with a 100g or 3.5oz serving of tofu providing 8 grams of complete protein. In addition to protein, tofu is a great source of essential micronutrients, like manganese, calcium, selenium, phosphorus, copper, magnesium, iron, and zinc. Soybeans contain beneficial plant compounds called isoflavones which function as phytoestrogens. These isoflavones are believed to be one of the main reasons behind the many health benefits of soy-based foods.
Other plant based dinner recipes to try:
15-Minute Peanut Chickpea Stir Fry
Baked Sweet Potato Mushroom Tacos
Vegan Lentil Cauliflower Taquitos
If you try this Blackened Tofu tacos recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Crispy Blackened Tofu Tacos with Creamy Slaw
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 tacos 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
Delicious crispy blackened tofu tacos for a vegan twist on blackened fish tacos! Tofu is seasoned in cajun spices then stuffed into tortillas with a creamy salt and avocado for a quick + easy dinner recipe.
- 12oz/ 350g bag of slaw (I used a mix of beetroot, carrot and broccoli)
- 1/2 cup greek or non-dairy yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice of one lime
- Salt + pepper, to taste
Blackened Tofu Tacos:
- 12oz/ 350g extra firm tofu, sliced into ½ thick rectangles
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Tortillas of choice
- Combine the slaw, yoghurt, lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a large bowl. Place in fridge so everything really marinates together.
- Slice your tofu lengthwise in 1/2-inch strips (I cut on an angle to make a slight triangle). Press tofu between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Place in a shallow dish with tamari to soak, turning after a few minutes for the other side.
- Combine the spices in a medium bowl then place in tofu pieces, gently pressing to coat all sides.
- In a large pan or skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat, add coated tofu and cook 5 minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
- Serve the tofu warm in tortillas of your choice, with the slaw, avocado, coriander leaves and a squeeze of lime juice.
Keywords: blackened tofu, tofu tacos, tofu, vegan
[…] Crispy Blackened Tofu Tacos with Creamy Slaw […]
[…] Crispy Blackened Tofu Tacos with Creamy Slaw […]