This healthy egg salad with pickles is a flavourful, delicious spin on the classic dish. It’s easy to make, great served on salad, lettuce wraps or bread!
Can’t stop won’t stop making egg salad WITH pickles guys! It is seriously my favourite recipe to whip up for a fast and tasty lunch. The pickles add crunch and the dill adds freshness. It is an incredibly flavourful take on the lunchtime classic. And I guarantee you’re gonna love it!
I love how easy this recipe is to make. You can put it on a salad, in a sandwich or in lettuce wraps for a snack or light meal. As a true pickle lover, I prefer to use dill pickles (Polish orguki) but the sweetness of gherkins stands up nicely, too. Plus, the acidity from the brine cuts the salad and makes the whole thing come together just perfectly.
Ingredients you’ll need
For this egg salad with pickles recipe you’ll need simple key ingredients:
- Eggs: This recipe calls for 8 large hard boiled eggs. It is the perfect amount for a decent serving of egg salad
- Pickles: Finely diced dill pickle spears so you get a bit of pickle in each bite.
- Red onion: I love the bite and pop of colour.
- Yoghurt: Greek yoghurt makes this recipe ultra creamy and tangy.
- Dijon mustard: Adds a nice little kick and a bit of sharp flavor to this recipe.
- Fresh dill: For a nice freshness in each bite. You’ll want to save some for the garnish too.
- Salt + pepper: Lastly, season your egg salad to taste.
Tips & variations
This recipe is quite customizable! There are many substitutions and additions you can make for it to meet your personal preferences and needs.
- Use an egg slicer to cut each hard boiled egg perfectly!
- The greek yoghurt in this recipe is what makes it light and creamy. For a richer version use mayo.
- I like red onion here, but any kind of onion would be tasty. Like white onion or green onion!
- For some additional mix-ins to this egg salad try avocado, bacon, olives, celery, or some of the pickle juice itself!
Ways to hard boil eggs
- Stove top method. Place eggs in a large pot and cover with 1 inch water. Bring water to a rolling boil, uncovered. Let the water rapidly boil for 30 seconds, cover then turn off the heat. Sit for 8-10 minutes, depending on how you like your eggs.
- Air fryer method. Set the temperate to 120ºC/ 250ºF and cook eggs for 16 minutes.
Once the eggs have cooked, transfer to a bowl of ice cold water to stop the cooking process. When the eggs have cooled to the touch, peel them.
How to Make Egg Salad with Pickles
Start by chopping the hard boiled eggs and pickles into a small dice.
Mix: In a medium sized bowl, combine the chopped eggs, pickles, onion, yoghurt, mustard, dill, salt and pepper. Gently stir until everything is thoroughly incorporated.
Test: Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
Cool: Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve this egg salad on crackers for a high protein snack.
- Make an egg salad sandwich. I like mine on sourdough with some sliced tomatoes and sprouts. Or, in a wrap!
- For a low-carb option, you can serve it as lettuce wraps or in lettuce cups. You can also top it on your favourite salad.
How to Store
Egg salad will stay good in a sealed container in the fridge for 3- 4 days. Just make sure that you don’t leave it out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Otherwise, it may start to go bad.
You can serve this egg salad with pickles straight away or you can put it in the fridge to serve it cold. The most common way we eat egg salad is cold on sandwich bread.
Every ingredient that goes into egg salad has water in it. Plus, salt in the dressing draws the water out of the ingredients as they sit. I recommend using thick greek greek and pat dry your pickles before chopping to help prevent this.
You can serve this egg salad in so many tasty ways! It’s perfect on a sandwich, wrap, in lettuce wraps, or salad. It is also great spread on crackers.
Sourdough is my go-to but feel free to use any type of bread you like! Rye bread, ciabatta, focaccia or even a bagel.
Other lunch recipes
If you try this egg salad with pickles recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Egg Salad with Pickles
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: British
This health egg salad with pickles is a flavourful, delicious spin on the classic dish. It’s easy to make, great served on salad, lettuce wraps or bread!
- 8 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup dill pickles, diced
- 1/3 cup plain greek yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Chop the hard boiled eggs and pickles into a small dice.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the chopped eggs, pickles, onion, yoghurt, mustard, dill, salt and pepper. Gently stir until everything is thoroughly incorporated.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container for up to 3-4 days.
Keywords: egg salad, pickles, yoghurt, healthy
[…] you’ve mastered this recipe, make sure to give my egg salad with pickles a […]