The easiest eggless cornbread recipe made with fresh corn and simple, healthier ingredients! It has a moist, tender crumb and is ready in 30 minutes.
If you love corn and you love cornbread – you will love this! Today, we’re diving into the best-ever eggless cornbread recipe! It’s a one-bowl wonder, no mixer required, featuring wholesome ingredients. And the best part? You’ll be done with the prep in less than 10 minutes, so easy!
This cornbread is wonderfully moist, not overly crumbly, and boasts those delightful, crispy edges. We even incorporate yogurt for added protein and real corn kernels to take the texture to a whole new level! You can opt to bake it in a skillet or a regular baking dish, but there’s something special about the hearty, crunchy crust you get when using a skillet.
Serve it with chili, soup, or your choice of dish. I also love a slice topped with jam and nut butter for a tasty snack.
Ingredients you’ll need
This cornbread without eggs recipe uses just 9 super simple pantry and fridge staples.
- Flour: we’re using good old purpose flour in this cornbread recipe. Some recipes call for whole wheat flour, but I find it to be too dense.
- Yellow cornmeal: Is a must for that cornbread flavour, of course.
- Baking staples: you’ll also need some baking powder and salt so that the cornbread bakes up nice and fluffy.
- Sweetener: Feel free to use pure maple syrup or honey to naturally sweeten the cornbread.
- Yogurt: the secret ingredient for making moist cornbread without eggs? Greek yogurt! I like to use high protein plain yogurt but a low fat yogurt would also work. It helps to replace additional oil that many recipes call for.
- Milk: feel free to use regular milk or your favorite dairy free milk. No buttermilk necessary!
- Corn: Include 1 cup of corn for texture. Either canned, fresh, or fully defrosted frozen corn.
- Butter: I prefer to use unsalted butter, but if you only have salted butter handy, you can use it. In this case, skip the salt called in the recipe.
- Rosemary: Adds a unique flavour to the batter, which my family loves. Omit it for a classic cornbread taste.
How to make eggless cornbread
The best part about this cornbread recipe? It’s SO easy to make and can be prepared in just one bowl!
Prepare your pan: Feel free to use a 9×9 inch square baking pan, a 9-inch cake pan, or a 9 or 10 inch cast iron skillet. Grease it with either butter or nonstick cooking spray.
Mix the wet ingredients: In a large bowl, add all of your wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients: Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until your batter forms. Make sure not to overmix. Fold in the corn kernels last.
Bake and enjoy: Cook your cornbread until golden then serve it warm with butter and honey.
This eggless cornbread recipe is a great base for adding your fav mix-ins and flavors. Just mix these right into the batter and bake it up:
- Jalapeno cheddar: 1 diced jalapeno (plus some slices for the top) + 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Blueberry: Replace the corn kernels with 3/4 cup fresh blueberries.
- Cheesy garlic: 3 cloves minced garlic + 3/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Green chile corn: add 1 (4 oz) can drained green chiles + optional 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Breakfast cornbread: fold in 1/2 cup chopped or crumbled cooked breakfast sausage.
- Cranberry: Add 1/2 cup dried cranberries to the batter.
Ways to serve cornbread
There are numerous delightful ways to enjoy my beloved cornbread, and I’m excited to share my favourites with you.
- Chili: My favorite way is to serve it alongside my Chili Without Tomatoes for a cozy winter meal.
- Baked Beans: Serve cornbread with this Cheesy White Bean Tomato Bake for a cheesy twist.
- Breakfast: Pair it with cheesy scrambled eggs and black beans.
- Sweet style: Spread with jam, butter, or nut butter for a delicious sweet snack.
How to store
- To store: Keep leftover cornbread in an airtight container at room temp for a day, and then transfer it to the refrigerator.
- To freeze: let the cornbread cool completely, slice if you’d like, and freeze in airtight containers for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy, thaw the cornbread slices at room temp or reheat in the microwave.
Good news, this homemade cornbread can easily be made gluten free! Just swap the all purpose flour for oat flour or gluten free all purpose flour.
Yes! Feel free to use a dairy free milk, dairy free yogurt and vegan butter instead of regular butter.
Serve with cornbread
If you try this eggless cornbread recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
The easiest eggless cornbread recipe made with fresh corn kernels and simple, healthier ingredients! It has a moist tender crumb and is ready in 30 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup plain yogurt*
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/ 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and grease a 10 inch cast iron skillet with butter. Then place it into the oven to warm up while preheating. If using a cake pan, skip this step*.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk and maple syrup until smooth.
- Add flour, cornmeal, rosemary, baking powder and salt. Stir in corn.
- Pour batter to the skillet and bake in the oven for about 30-35 minutes (or until edges are golden).
- Slice and enjoy.
- I used non-fat plain yogurt
- Store leftover cornbread in an airtight container at room temp for a day, then refrigerate.
- Freeze: cool completely, slice if you’d like, and freeze in airtight containers for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: Per slice
- Calories: 135 calories
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 23.7g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 5.1g
Keywords: cornbread, eggless, egg free, corn, thanksgiving