This Italian grinder salad is a lightened up version of the viral Tik Tok sandwich! It’s basically all the ingredients of an Italian sub served antipasto style with a creamy yoghurt dressing.
I’m sure you’ve seen the viral tik tok grinder salad sandwiches all over social media, but this high protein version is my absolute favourite! In fact, I think this lightened up Italian Italian grinder salad is going to be your new go-to salad!
It has a base of crunchy lettuce, uses chicken and chickpeas instead of deli meats and a creamy tangy yoghurt dressing. Perfect for all my non Mayo lovers! It’s a perfect summer salad that’s full of delicious Italian flavours.
Ingredients you’ll need:
All you need are 11 key ingredients to make this healthier Italian grinder salad recipe.
- Lettuce: We start with a base of (cos) romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce.
- Tomatoes: I used cherry tomatoes but any type of tomatoes will work just fine!
- Chicken: Instead of deli meats we add shredded chicken breast to keep it healthier and higher in protein.
- Red onion: Sweet red onion adds that strong, but sweet punch of flavour.
- Chickpeas: 1 can of chickpeas makes this salad more hearty and filling.
- Pepperoncini peppers: Also called mild peppers or banana peppers add a yummy bite. You could also use marinated roasted red peppers.
- Parmesan: I love using freshly shaved parmesan here. But any hard aged cheese like pecorino romano or grana padano would also work.
- Greek yoghurt: To make the creamy tangy dressing instead of Mayo.
- Red wine vinegar: Or any vinegar you have on hand
- Oregano: A good pinch is needed for flavour.
- Garlic: You’ll need 1 minced garlic clove to make the dressing.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
How to make the grinder salad
To start, you’ll just wash and chop all of your ingredients.
Add the lettuce, tomatoes, shredded chicken, red onion, chickpeas, pepperoncini peppers and shaved parmesan of the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
In a medium bowl whisk together the yoghurt, red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy.
Pour the dressing over the salad, toss until well combined then serve. Best enjoyed right away.
How to make an Italian grinder salad sandwich
On a ciabatta roll or Italian bread, layer the chicken and cheese to your liking. Next, toss the veggies and dressing in a bowl. Spoon this delicious mixture onto your sandwich and enjoy. It’s dreamy and so satisfying.
Since it’s so versatile, I love pairing my healthier grinder salad with almost any recipe!
- If I was making it for lunch, id pair it with a slice of sourdough or a bread roll.
- You could even serve it with this air fryer tuna melt, these air fryer potato croquettes or a bowl of dairy free tomato soup.
How to store
This grinder salad is best eaten immediately for maximum crunch. However leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Certainly! The grinder salad trend is incredibly versatile. Customise it by adding or removing ingredients to suit your preferences. Try different meats, cheeses, veggies, and dressings for a unique flavor that matches your taste.
For a vegetarian grinder salad, swap meat with plant-based alternatives like marinated tofu or tempeh, or omit it altogether. Add more veggies such as cucumbers, marinated white beans, and artichoke hearts. Vegans can replace cheese with their preferred dairy-free alternatives.
Make the grinder salad ahead of time, but avoid tossing it until you’re ready to eat. Prep the vegetables, meats, and dressing in separate containers and store them in the fridge. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply combine everything for a fresh and hassle-free grinder salad.
Other salad recipes
If you try this grinder salad recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
This Italian grinder salad is a lightened up version of the viral Tok Tok sandwich! It’s basically all the ingredients of an Italian sub served antipasto style with a creamy yoghurt dressing.
- 6 cups shredded cos (romaine) lettuce
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 a red onion, sliced
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed + drained
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers (mild peppers)
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan or romano cheese
- 1/2 cup plain greek yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper, to taste
- To start, you’ll just wash and chop all of your ingredients.
- Add the lettuce, tomatoes, shredded chicken, red onion, chickpeas, pepperoncini peppers and shaved parmesan of the salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the yoghurt, red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss until well combined then serve. Best enjoyed right away.
- Store: This grinder salad is the best eaten immediately for maximum crunch. However leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: Italian , grinder salad, chop salad