This healthy Mexican tuna salad is super easy to make and perfect to meal prep! It’s high protein, packed with veggies and made with greek yogurt.
Looking for a quick and healthy lunch recipe using mainly pantry staples?
This Mexican tuna bean salad is it! It’s full of flavour, budget friendly and super easy to whip up for lunch any day of the week! Canned tuna is mixed with greek yogurt, corn, black beans and add lots of veggies for a healthy lunch or high protein snack.
I love serving tuna salad in lettuce wraps, but it also makes a great dip or meat free nachos base!
Ingredients you’ll need
The best thing about this Mexican tuna salad with corn is that you only need a few pantry and fridge staples:
- Tuna: I like to use canned tuna in Springwater for this recipe.
- Corn: either canned, frozen or fresh sweet corn kernels.
- Black beans: or kidney beans if that’s all you have on hand. Any beans will work!
- Tomato: Here I used truss tomatoes, but you can use any ripe red tomatoes such as Roma tomatoes or vine tomatoes. You can also use grape or cherry tomatoes and quarter or halve instead of dicing them.
- Onion: half a red onion adds a nice little bite to the tuna alad.
- Coriander (cilantro): a key flavour in Mexican food if you ask me!
- Yoghurt: I use plain Greek yogurt rather than mayonnaise, to make this wonderfully creamy.
- Lime: the juice of 1 lime adds a refreshing flavour.
- Garlic powder: for a little kick
- Salt + pepper
How to make
- Prep the ingredients: Dice the red onion and tomatoes. Mince the coriander (cilantro). Open the can of tuna and drain the water.
- Yoghurt sauce: In a mixing bowl, stir together the ingredients for the dressing: Greek yogurt, lime juice, salt and pepper until combined.
- Salad: Add the drained tuna, corn, black beans, onion, tomatoes, coriander (cilantro) in a large bowl. pour over the yoghurt sauce and gently mix until well combined.
- Serve: Serve the tuna salad with lettuce and tortilla chips right away or transfer store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
- Capsicum (bell pepper): add some diced red capsicum in addition or in place of the tomatoes.
- Dice everything finely. This will make everything easier to combine and eat.
- Use tuna in water not oil: Water packed tuna is more solid, making it perfect for this salad.
- Jalapeño: If you like your food spicy, add a bit of diced jalapeño.
- Avocado: Add a diced avocado or extra creaminess, flavour, and healthy fats!
Ways to serve
- Sandwich filling: Eat your tuna salad in a sandwich or crunch wrap, or piled on crackers, rice cakes, however you like! Add to toasted sourdough with avocado, some sprouts or spinach and an extra drizzle of yoghurt.
- As a dip: serve as a chunky style dip with tortilla chips. Perfect for entertaining!
- Lettuce: I love eating tuna salad in lettuce boats! They’re the perfect vessel for serving!
- Nachos: Turn leftovers into tuna nachos. Add cheddar cheese, salsa, avocado and top with extra Greek yoghurt. YUM!
How to store
This Mexican tuna salad with corn will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
How to store leftover tuna salad?
Transfer the prepared tuna salad to an airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator.
How long does tuna salad last in the fridge?
For best taste, eat within 3 days, but it can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
Can you freeze tuna salad?
Yes, you can freeze tuna salad. However the Greek yogurt may release extra moisture, so you may find that you need to drain it after you thaw the tuna. You can liven it up with fresh tomatoes, coriander and onions if necessary.
More easy salad recipes
Roasted Chickpea Pumpkin Salad
If you try this Mexican tuna salad recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Easy Mexican Tuna Salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6
- Category: Salad, dip
- Method: Salad
- Cuisine: Mexican inspired
This Mexican tuna salad is super easy to make and perfect to meal prep! It’s high protein, packed with veggies and made with greek yoghurt.
- 425g / 15 oz canned tuna, drained
- 1 can corn kernels, rinsed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup minced coriander
- 1 cup plain Greek yoghurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Start by dicing the red onion and tomatoes. Mince the coriander (cilantro). Open the can of tuna and drain the water.
- In a small bowl, stir together the dressing ingredients: Greek yogurt, lime juice, salt and pepper until combined.
- In a large bowl, add the drained tuna, corn, black beans, onion, tomatoes, coriander (cilantro).
- Pour over the yoghurt sauce and gently mix until well combined.
- Serve the tuna salad with lettuce and tortilla chips right away or transfer the tuna salad into containers and store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Add a jalapeño for a spicy kick.*
Keywords: Mexican, tuna, salad, corn, black beans
Leave a Reply