Orange sesame glazed cauliflower wings will be your new favourite way to eat cauliflower! Baked cauliflower wings dipped in a sweet orange sesame glaze, for a delicious and healthy asian-inspired recipe! Made with simple gluten-free ingredients.
Raise your hands if you LOVE Chinese orange chicken and honey sesame chicken…
When I was younger they were two of my favourite dishes from Chinese restaurants. Buuut, they are usually fried and not made with the healthiest ingredients, so I decided to make a lightened-up veggie version.
Move over chicken, these baked orange sesame cauliflower wings are INSANE! Cauliflower gets battered up, baked to perfection then tossed in a sweet orange sesame sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds. I mean, can we say YUM?
Full of flavour, gluten free, and can easily be made paleo. So without further ado, let’s get cooking!
Ingredients you’ll need
These healthier baked orange cauliflower wings are coated in gluten-free breadcrumbs or almond meal, baked until crispy then dipped in a DELICIOUS orange sesame glaze sauce that everyone will love!
Here is everything you will need, plus ingredient substitutions as noted:
- Cauliflower – the star ingredient for this recipe! A medium head of cauliflower cut into small florets is what you’ll need.
- Gluten-free brown rice crackers – to get that crispy coating on these bad boys. I blend 100% brown rice crackers in my food processor to make easy homemade breadcrumbs (any kind will work!). Use almond meal for a paleo friendly version instead.
- Eggs – to coat the cauliflower so the breadcrumbs will stick.
- Orange juice + zest – the key ingredient in the orange sesame glaze! Use freshly squeezed orange as store-bought won’t have the same rich flavour.
- Sesame oil – to add a toasted sesame flavour to the glaze.
- Garlic – Because YUM!
- Ginger – totally optional but adds a little kick to the glaze!
- Honey or maple syrup – to add a little extra sweetness to the recipe.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – you could also use rice wine vinegar if you have it!.
- Gluten-free tamari soy sauce – for that Asian inspired taste. To make this recipe paleo friendly, use coconut aminos instead. If not gluten-free, sub regular soy-sauce.
- Sesame seeds – to coat the cauliflower.
- Arrowroot flour – to thicken the orange glaze. Can sub tapioca flour or corn starch.
How to make orange sesame glazed cauliflower wings
(Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post)
- Chop cauliflower: cut into medium bite sized florets.
- Egg wash: whisk both eggs together in a medium bowl so that you can dip the cauliflower wings in it so that the breadcrumbs sticks.
- Breadcrumbs: in another bowl toss each piece of cauliflower in the crushed crackers or almond meal.
- Bake: once all of your cauliflower wings are fully coated, it’s time to bake! Bake at 220ºC/ 425ºF ºF for 25 minutes. Turn the oven off and cool on the bench for 5 minutes to crisp up.
- Orange sesame sauce: add all of the ingredients aside from the arrowroot and whisk to combine. Bring to a gentle boil. Mix arrowroot flour and water and add to the sauce once it is at a low boil.
- Toss: either dip each cauliflower floret in the glaze or mix in a bowl with the sauce.
- Sesame seeds: sprinkle sesame seeds on top and serve immediately!
Tips for making the best baked orange sesame cauliflower wings
- Keep an eye on them while they bake. Depending on your oven, they may need slightly more or less time.
- Eat right away. The wings are best while still hot straight from the oven. Unfortunately, the cauliflower will lose its crispiness after about 30 minutes. However, they still taste yum the next day!
- Use freshly squeezed orange juice for this recipe. You can either squeeze a few oranges at home or use a cold pressed orange juice from a bottle. Both of these have a stronger flavour than conventional orange juice.
- You can use any sweetener in this recipe. Honey is my go-to sweetener but maple syrup, coconut sugar, brown sugar or a few drops of liquid stevia will work too.
How to reheat cauliflower wings
Cauliflower wings are best enjoyed fresh, but if you’d like to reheat any leftovers you can heat them in an oven at 200C/ 400F. Bake until just heated through.
I don’t recommend reheating orange sesame cauliflower wings in a microwave as it will make them really soft and soggy. However they will still taste yum!
What to serve with baked orange sesame glazed cauliflower
I love serving my healthy orange cauliflower bites in the same way you would serve Chinese orange chicken; with rice, steamed vegetables and protein of choice (eg. chicken, tofu, beans) to make this a complete meal . Otherwise they make a great appetiser plate served with celery, carrot and your favourite dip.
More veggie recipes to try
Baked Sweet Potato Zucchini Tots
If you try this orange sesame glazed cauliflower wings recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Orange Sesame Glazed Cauliflower Wings
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 serves 1x
- Category: Appetiser
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Chinese
Orange sesame glazed cauliflower wings will be your new favourite way to eat cauliflower! Baked cauliflower wings dipped in a sweet orange sesame sauce for a delicious and healthy asian-inspired recipe! Made with simple gluten-free ingredients.
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup crushed brown rice crackers or almond meal
Orange sesame sauce:
- 1 cup/ 250ml fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour (or tapioca flour)
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 220C/ 425F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Chop the cauliflower into medium bite sized florets.
- Whisk together the eggs in a medium bowl. In another bowl, add your choice of breadcrumbs.
- Dip each piece of cauliflower in the egg mixture (let some egg drip off) then transfer to breadcrumb bowl. Coat each piece completely with breadcrumbs and then transfer to a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Repeat until all cauliflower has been used, then place in the oven.
- Bake for 25 minutes, turn the oven off and cool on the bench for 5 minutes to crisp up.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Add all of the ingredients aside from the arrowroot in a small pot and whisk to combine. Bring to a gentle boil.
- In a small bowl, mix the arrowroot flour with 2 tablespoons water and add to the sauce once it is at a low boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened. Remove from heat.
- When cauliflower is done baking, toss in orange sesame sauce, making sure all pieces are coated.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and eat immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Calories: 146
- Sugar: 9.1g
- Fat: 3.2g
- Carbohydrates: 20.1g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Protein: 2.9g
Keywords: orange sesame glazed cauliflower wings, orange cauliflower wings, baked orange cauliflower wings
[…] versatile in my opinion. I mean, what can you not make with cauliflower?! From cauliflower pizza to orange sesame cauliflower wings, I can assure you that this moroccan cauliflower recipe will “wow” you and if you were ever […]
[…] Orange Sesame Glazed Cauliflower Wings […]