This creamy, aromatic, savoury slow cooker chicken satay is a dish the whole family will love. It’s budget-friendly, full of flavour and takes just 10 minutes to prepare.
Dump and go slow cooker recipes are my favourite because they’re the easiest way to prepare meals. and the outcome is always so tasty. or do meal prep!
Take this slow cooker chicken satay, for instance; it’s effortlessly delicious and comforting. Most of the ingredients required are pantry staples, making it the perfect family friendly meal. The combination of savoury sauces and peanut butter are brimming with flavour. If you’re a fellow peanut enthusiast, this is a must-try for you.
The beauty of it all is that everything comes together in the slow cooker. Simply set it and forget it for a few hours, and you’ll have a mouthwatering dinner ready to enjoy. It’s an excellent choice for weeknight meal prep as it keeps well. You can easily customize this dish with your choice of vegetables; see my notes below for ideas.
Ingredients you’ll need:
All you need to make this slow cooker satay chicken recipe are chicken, veggies and simple aromatics:
- Chicken: I prefer boneless/skinless chicken breasts here as the rich sauce makes them tender. Chicken thighs work well too.
- Peanut Butter: The key ingredient to achieve rich, nutty depth of flavour. I used a creamy, natural unsalted peanut butter.
- Aromatics: A mix of onion, garlic, ginger and lime juice from the aromatic foundation of this curry. Feel free to swap the yellow onion for shallots, if you prefer.
- Honey: You can also use coconut sugar, brown sugar or white sugar.
- Soy sauce: While fish sauce is traditionally used, I prefer soy sauce or coconut aminos to m make it gluten-free.
- Coconut milk: Adds luxurious creaminess to the curry. I used full fat canned coconut milk, but you can use light or ½ cup of light thickened cream (half-and-half) instead.
- Red Curry Paste: The key to a classic flavourful satay sauce,. You can find it in the Asian section of the grocery store. Use less paste for less heat if preferred.
- Toppings: I love finishing this satay chicken with fresh herbs, crushed peanuts and a squeeze of lime juice. You can also add a dollop of plain yogurt if you like.
- Veggies: Red bell pepper (capsicum) green beans and onion adds a nice colour pop and crunch to the recipe.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
How to make slow cooker chicken satay
Prep ingredients: Chop all the veggies and mince garlic and ginger. Cut the chicken breasts into small bite sized pieces.
Satay sauce: Whisk the peanut butter, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, honey and lime juice and coconut milk together in a large bowl.
Cook chicken: Add the chicken and onion to the base of the slow cooker. Pour this sauce over the chicken and onion and stir to combine. Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 5-6 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
Veggies: Add the capsicum and green beans, 1 hour prior to the end of the cooking time.
Serve with cooked rice, top with coriander (cilantro) and crushed peanuts.
Tips and variations
- Chicken breasts. Chicken thighs will work as well. If using thighs, leave them whole and use boneless/ skinless thighs. Chop them after cooking.
- Peanut butter. If using salted peanut butter, skip adding salt to the recipe to avoid it getting overly salted. You can also use cashew butter or sunflower seed butter to make it nut free.
- Red curry paste. You can also use curry powder if needed. I prefer the paste because it’s a lot more flavourful.
- Do not overcook the chicken. For a thinner sauce, add another 1/2 cup water and stir well. Let it heat a bit and form into the silky sauce.
The best thing about this slow cooker chicken satay is that it tastes even better the next day! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. Leftovers will freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat until the chicken satay is piping hot.
You can replace chicken with tofu or tempeh and honey with maple syrup or sugar to make it fully vegan.
Yes, you can! Simply double the recipe and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze the leftovers for a super quick and easy family dinner later in the week.
Absolutely! Broccoli florets, sliced carrots, zucchini, mushrooms or sugar snap peas make yummy additions. Add them in the last hour of cooking.
More curry recipes
If you try this slow cooker chicken satay recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
This creamy, aromatic, savoury slow cooker chicken satay is a dish the whole family will love. It’s budget friendly, full of flavour and takes just 10 minutes to prepare.
- 600g (1.3lb) chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 brown/ yellow onions, chopped
- 2 red capsicums (bell peppers), chopped
- 350g green beans, trimmed and halved
- To serve: rice, coriander (cilantro) and crushed peanuts.
- Gather the ingredients and chop all the veggies and mince garlic and ginger. Cut the chicken breasts into small bite sized pieces. Set the slow cooker to high.
- Whisk the satay seasoning ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken and onion to the base of the slow cooker.
- Pour this sauce over the chicken and onion and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or LOW for 5-6 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and tender.
- Add the capsicum and green beans, 1 hour prior to the end of the cooking time.
- Serve with cooked rice, top with coriander (cilantro) and crushed peanuts.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for cup to 2-3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Replace chicken with tofu or tempeh to make vegan.*
- Serving Size: Per serving
- Calories: 627 cal
- Sugar: 16.1g
- Fat: 35g
- Saturated Fat: 16.2g
- Carbohydrates: 31.5g
- Fiber: 6.8g
- Protein: 48.9g
Keywords: chicken, satay, slow cooker