Epic healthy gluten-free spinach feta salmon burgers ready in 20 minutes. These are the easiest and tastiest healthy salmon burgers made with canned salmon and cooked on the stovetop (no grill needed).
I crave salmon burgers on the regular. A few times a month I love making different homemade burgers like these baked zucchini tuna cakes and these spinach feta salmon ones have been my latest go-to.
They are so easy to make and they are my favourite to add on top of a bowl of sorts, onto a bun, anything! I also cut them up and mix them in my salads. We just LOVE them. They are juicy, flavorful and ready in just 20 minutes, so what’s not to love.
Personally, I prefer using a can of red wild salmon so they have a more rich, fuller flavour. But you can also use pink salmon, for a milder fishy flavour burger. Use whatever you have!
I served mine on a rye English muffin with some leafy greens, tomatoes, pickled onions and avocado, and I used tahini as the sauce of sorts. You can really use anything you are craving or have on hand, which is what I also love about these. They are so versatile and they also taste delicious in a pita wrap!
Ingredients you’ll need
These spinach feta salmon burgers are made with canned salmon and a few extra ingredients for maximum flavour
- Canned red salmon: you’ll need one large 415g/ 14.75 oz can of salmon for this recipe. I prefer red as it has more flavour then the pink variety. Make sure to drain it well.
- Eggs: 2 eggs to help bind the patties together.
- Breadcrumbs: I used homemade gluten free breadcrumbs but whole grain or quick oats will work too.
- Onion: use any type of onion
- Feta cheese: either grate on a box grater or crumble with your hands.
- Dijon mstard
- Spinach: I used baby spinach leaves here but silverbeet will work too. Roughly chop the leaves into smallish pieces
- Lemon: juice and zest
- Garlic powder + salt
How to make spinach feta salmon burgers
It’s actually easy to make this recipe for healthy salmon burgers from scratch, even though we’re incorporating 2 additional ingredients as the feta and spinach. For these patties, we’ll just mix everything together and then cook them on the stove. Then, assemble and enjoy! (Note – The full printable recipe is at the bottom of this post).
Drain salmon: Start by draining the canned salmon. I use the entire salmon in the can—skin and bones. The bones are really soft and not noticeable in these patties.
Combine everything: In a large bowl, combine drained salmon with all the other ingredients. Mix well until fully incorporated.
Make patties: Form into 8 palm sized patties. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up (this is ideal if you have time!).
Cook: Heat a large skillet with a little olive oil cooking spray and cook patties for bout 5 minutes on each side.
Enjoy! Serve on bun of choice and with desired toppings.
Salmon burger topping & Serving Ideas
These canned salmon burgers can be topped with your usual burger toppings! For example:
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickled onions or regular onions
- Leafy greens
- Dijon mustard
- Tahini sauce
- Avocado slices
- Fresh lemon juice
You can serve these burgers with any burger bun – I personally like a rye English muffin. If you need to keep this recipe gluten-free, simply choose a gluten-free bun.
Alternatively, these patties can be served in a lettuce wrap, pita wrap, or even added to a salad as a protein source!
These spinach and feta burgers are great to make at the start of the week and will keep for about 3 days! Simply store uncooked or leftover patties in an airtight container in the fridge. You can reheat them on the stovetop or enjoy them cold.
If you’d like to save a batch for down the road, freeze them in ziploc bags for up to 3 months!
Canned Salmon Nutrition Benefits
Canned salmon is a great source of:
- High-quality protein
- Heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA)
- Vitamin D
To get the most from your salmon, be sure to eat the bones – that’s where the calcium and vitamin D is stored. They’re super soft and mash up easily with a fork (you won’t even notice them!)
More easy healthy meal ideas
If you try this spinach feta salmon burgers recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Epic gluten-free spinach feta burgers ready in 20 minutes. These are the easiest and tastiest healthy salmon burgers made with canned salmon and cooked on the stovetop (no grill needed).
- 14.75oz/ 415g canned red salmon, drained
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup regular or gluten-free breadcrumbs*
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 cups chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice + zest
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup grated feta cheese
- Olive oil cooking spray, to cook
- In a large bowl, combine drained salmon with all the other ingredients. Mix well with hands until fully incorporated.
- Form into 8 palm sized patties. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to firm up (for best results, otherwise skip to next step).
- Heat a large skillet with a little olive oil cooking spray and cook patties for about 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Serve on bun of choice and with desired toppings.
- Can. sub almond meal for a grain free option.
- Store uncooked or leftover patties in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. You can reheat them on the stovetop or enjoy them cold.
Keywords: spinach feta burgers, healthy salmon burgers