Start the day with this high protein, vegetable packed vegan frittata! An easy make ahead breakfast option made with chickpea flour, veggies of choice and herbs. Completely eggless, gluten free + dairy free.
Frittatas are one of my go-to easy meals and I love experimenting with different ingredient and flavour combinations. This healthy and filling vegan frittata is super simple to cook and a great alternative for those who cannot eat eggs. It’s made from chickpea flour, and vegetables and no tofu! The batter is very versatile and works well with any vegetables or greens.
While I love serving this chickpea flour frittata with sautéed vegetables and avocado, you can easily eat it plain too! I usually make this recipe in my mini loaf pan for convenience although you can use a regular baking pan or regular muffin tin if you prefer.
Why you’ll love this vegan frittata recipe:
- Its gluten free and grain free
- Dairy free
- Low fat
- High fibre and protein
Ingredient’s you’ll need:
In this recipe, a batter is made with chickpea flour, an assortment of vegetables, and herbs then baked until tender, creating a delicious vegan frittata that’s perfect any time of day. Here’s what you will need:
- Chickpea flour: also called besan flour. When this flour is hydrated and cooked, it has a similar taste to eggs.
- Non dairy milk
- Vegetables of choice: use 2 cups of any veggies that you like chopped up small. Some ideas include capsicums (bel peppers), mushrooms, broccoli, zucchini, peas and corn.
- Baby spinach leaves
- Dried oregano: basil or thyme would be great too!
- Garlic powder
- Salt + pepper
- Nutritional yeast: optional but adds a delicious cheesy flavour
How to make vegan chickpea flour frittata
“Egg” base: In a medium bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Add the milk and whisk until combined. Batter will be runny, not thick.
Vegetables: Add the veggies and mix again.
Pour into pan: Scoop the batter into 12 muffin holes, 8 cup mini loaf pan or a 9 x 9 square baking tin.
Bake: Place into the oven and bake for 30 – 35 minutes.
Cool: Remove from oven and let rest on a cooling rack for flipping out.
Benefits of chickpea flour in these mini vegan frittatas
If you haven’t used chickpea flour before, I want to encourage you to! It’s naturally gluten free, inexpensive and has a slightly nutty flavour which I really love. When hydrated and cooked, chickpea flour has a taste and texture very similar to eggs- which is perfect in this vegan frittata recipe. The protein binds together when cooked and provides moisture, lift, and structure like real eggs do in baked goods.
How to serve frittata
This chickpea flour frittata can be enjoyed on it’s own, or it can be paired with a side of fibre-rich carbohydrates to balance out the meal. Some of my favourite sides are sautéed vegetables, avocado, roasted potatoes or toast.
This chickpea flour frittata is great to have on hand for busy mornings!
- Refrigerate: these chickpea flour frittata muffins will keep in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
- Freeze: They will keep well in freezer-safe containers or zip lock bags in the freezer for up to 2 – 3 months. Let thaw before reheating. You can easily reheat the frittata in the toaster oven or microwave.
More delicious frittata recipes
Kale, Pumpkin and feta Frittata
Healthy Gluten-Free Zucchini Slice
If you try this vegan frittata recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Vegan Chickpea Flour Frittata
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- Total Time: 0 minute
- Yield: 8 mini frittatas or 12 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Start the day with this high protein, vegetable packed vegan frittata! An easy make ahead breakfast option made with chickpea flour, veggies off choice and herbs. Gluten free + dairy free.
- 1 ¾ cups chickpea flour (garbanzo bean or besan flour)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or black salt for a more egg-like flavour)
- 2 cups non-dairy milk or water
- 2 cups chopped vegetables (eg. broccoli, capsicum, mushrooms, zucchini, peas, corn)
- 2 spring onions or ¼ brown onion, finely diced
- Small handful of baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C 160C fan-forced) and grease a muffin tin, mini loaves pan or line an 8 x 8 baking pan with baking paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper. Add the milk and whisk until combined (batter will be runny, not thick).
- Add the vegetables and mix again.
- Scoop the batter into desired baking tin.
- bake in the oven for 35 minutes for small frittatas or up to 50 minutes for a large one. Test with toothpick, by sticking it in the center of a muffin, if it comes clean, frittatas are ready.
- Remove from oven and let rest on a cooling rack before flipping out.
Keywords: vegan frittata, chickpea flour frittata
Leave a Reply