The best vegan zucchini brownies you’ll ever eat are gluten free, flourless, deliciously fudgy and the perfect way to bake with zucchini. Made with healthier ingredients like wholegrain oat flour, peanut butter and sweetened with a touch of pure maple syrup.
HECK YES BABY!
These bad boys are finally here guys. It’s no secret that I am obsessed with veggie packed desserts, (see here + here) AND zucchini + chocolate is the perfect combination! Trust me, these brownies are about to spice up your chocolate cravings for the better. According to my boyfriend, these are the best chocolate dessert I’ve made so far – I’ll take it!!
The taste and texture of these healthy zucchini brownies is beyond. You will never know they are gluten-free, easily nut-free and PACKED with 2 cups of zucchini! They’re filled with fibre from the oats + zucchini, healthy fats from peanut butter, and antioxidants from the cacoa. All things that make this nutritionist happy 😃
These brownies are moist, cakey with a lightly fudgy texture, and have a oh-so-rich, deep chocolate flavour. The soft and tender crumb of these healthy zucchini brownies are what make them melt in your mouth—all while you bask in the melty chocolate chips and hidden zucchini in each and every brownie. Ah HEAVEN.
Ingredients you’ll need:
These vegan zucchini brownies are made with just a handful of ingredients, and so incredibly easy to make Here’s what you’ll need:
- Nut butter: I used all natural creamy peanut butter, but any type of nut butter will also work. Just make sure to look for one with 100% nuts/ seeds and no added nasties! If you do happen to be allergic to nuts tahini also tastes divine!
- Pure maple syrup or honey: I adore maple syrup in this recipe but any liquid sweetener will work here!
- Applesauce or mashed banana: helps bind the brownies, add a lovely natural sweetness and keeps them MOIST. Sorry I had to say it.
- Vanilla extract
- Cacoa powder: I like to use unsweetened cocoa powder in baking and save the raw stuff for smoothies and unbaked goods. Each serving of cacao powder provides 25% of your daily magnesium, 10% iron and 18% fiber.
- Oat flour: You can use store bought or whiz up some rolled pats for this recipe. Remember to purchase certified gluten-free oats if you are baking for someone who is gluten-intolerant.
- Sea salt
- Zucchini: Our secret ingredient! Grate it then squeeze out all of the excess moisture. This is so important, otherwise you will have soggy (and not fudgy) brownies.
- Chocolate chips: feel free to use mini chocolate chips, dairy-free dark chocolate chips or sugar free chocolate chips.
- Baking powder: there’s just a tiny bit in this recipe to keep the brownies perfectly fudgy.
How to make these vegan zucchini brownies
These healthy veggie loaded brownies could not be any easier! Everything gets mixed together in one bowl and baked!.
To start: preheat oven to 350F/ 180C and line an 8×8 inch pan with baking paper.
Grate zucchini: firstly, grate the zucchini’s on a box grater, then squeeze with your hands and drain out the excess water. Do not skip this!
Mix ingredients: In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla, cocoa powder, oat flour, baking powder and salt until smooth and well combined.
Zucchini: Lastly, fold in squeezed zucchini and chocolate chips then pour into prepared pan.
Bake: Place in the oven and bake in oven for 30-35 minutes (stick a toothpick in and when it comes ALMOST clean with a few crumbs you know it is ready!).
Cool: Rest the brownies completely on a wire rack then cut into 12-16 squares. Enjoy!
These gluten free zucchini brownies never last long in my house. Here’s a few storage options.
- Refrigerate: these vegan zucchini brownies are best kept in the fridge for up to 5 days. Heat your brownies up in the microwave for 10-15 seconds until just warm.
- On the counter: I don’t recommend storing these brownies at room temperature. The moisture from the zucchini can cause the brownies to spoil if not refrigerated.
- Freeze: Use a freezer safe container or snap lock bag and store for up to 2 months in the freezer. Just make sure to place baking paper between them if you stack them.
Customise your gluten-free zucchini brownies
These healthy zucchini brownies are also incredibly easy to make. If you’re looking for a dessert for a crowd and need something simple + “healthier”, just throw all the ingredients in one bowl and mix away. If you want to make them extra special, try adding:
- Dried cherries
- Fresh or raspberries
- Crushed walnuts
- A little sprinkle of flakey sea salt on top
The options are endless.
More chocolatey recipes you might like:
If you try this vegan zucchini brownies recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
The best vegan zucchini brownies you’ll ever eat are gluten free, flourless, deliciously fudgy and the perfect way to bake with zucchini. These easy flourless zucchini brownies are made with healthier ingredients like wholegrain oat flour, peanut butter and sweetened just with pure maple syrup and your favourite chocolate chips.
- 1/2 cup/ 125g nut butter (peanut, almond or tahini)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup/ 100g oat flour (gluten free if needed)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 packed cups/ 300g shredded zucchini— squeezed
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, maple syrup, banana, vanilla, cocoa powder, oat flour, baking powder and salt until smooth and well combined.
- Fold in squeezed zucchini and chocolate chips then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean.
- Cool brownies completely on wire rack then cut into 12-16 squares. Enjoy
- Can also sub with unsweetened applesauce, sweet potato or pumpkin puree*
Keywords: zucchini brownies, vegan zucchini brownies, flourless zucchini brownies, healthy brownies