This roast beetroot and halloumi salad is made with roasted apples, beets, pearled barley, halloumi cheese and a honey vinaigrette. It’s the perfect combination of sweet, salty and is absolutely delicious!
- 1/2 cup raw pearled barley
- 2 beetroots, peeled + cubed
- 1 pink lady apple , cubed
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 250g halloumi, sliced (about 1/2 a block)
- 1 bunch parsley (about 2 cups chopped)
- Salt and fresh pepper to taste
Honey vinegar dressing:
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the barley over high heat until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the barley and rinse under cold water to cool thoroughly. Drain again, shaking out the excess water.
- Place the beetroots onto the baking sheet and toss in 1 teaspoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread in a single layer and roast in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until lightly browned and fork tender. Toss the apples in ½ teaspoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread in a single layer and roast in the oven for the final 12-15 minutes.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or shake together in a jar with a lid. Set aside.
- Cut the halloumi cheese into 1/4-inch thick slices. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium/high heat and add the halloumi slices directly to the pan (no oil required). Cook for a few minutes on each side until speckled golden.
- Toss the cooked barley, chopped parsley, pecans, roasted apples and beetroot in a large serving bowl with the dressing. Top with the cooked halloumi and serve!
Storage: Leftovers will will stay fresh for about 2-3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. Keep the cooked halloumi and store in a separate container in the fridge. Do NOT reheat the halloumi as it will create a rubbery texture.
Keywords: beetroot, Halloumi, salad, barley, apple