This vegan carrot ginger lentil soup is easy, healthy and comforting. It’s loaded with flavour, perfectly creamy (with no dairy), and packed with plant based protein.
- 1 tablesoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 500g carrots, chopped
- 6 slices fresh ginger or 2 tablespoons grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (75g) raw cashews
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Coconut cream, coriander (cilantro) to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, until slightly caramelised.
- Add the garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric and salt. Stir and let the aromatics toast slightly, about 1-2 minutes. It should get very fragrant. Don’t let the garlic burn though.
- Add the rinsed lentils, cashews and vegetable stock. Cover and reduce heat, allowing to simmer for 15 mins. The carrots should be fork-tender when done.
- Use a hand-held immersion blender to blend the soup in the pot OR transfer to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth. If using a high-speed blender, you may have to blend in batches. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve in bowls with a drizzle of coconut cream, fresh coriander (cilantro), chopped cashews and toasted bread if desired.
- Storing: Leftovers will keep for about 4-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge. To keep for longer, soup can be frozen for up to 6 months. To reheat, simply warm it up on the stovetop or in the microwave! Be sure to stir soup to evenly distribute the heat.
Keywords: carrot, ginger, lentil, soup, vegan, dairy free