These baked sweet potato mushroom tacos are a delicious meat-free meal everybody will love. Made with all gluten free + vegan ingredients for an easy healthy weeknight dinner recipe.
- Extra virgin olive oil or olive oil spray
- 1 can brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 brown onion, diced
- ½ cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 3 cups (250g/ 9oz) button mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup (250g) sweet potato puree/ mashed
- 2 tablespoons vegan cashew cheese *
- ~1/2 cup shredded non-dairy cheese
- 8–10 soft corn tortillas for choice
- Guacamole, salsa, cheese to serve
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and add olive oil, mushrooms and onion and sauté for 5 minutes or until fragrant
- Add in the lentils and seasonings and mix well so everything is evenly combined
- Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes
- In a medium bowl combine the mashed sweet potato with the cashew cheese. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- Warm the tortillas in microwave for about 30 seconds so they are pliable then lightly grease them
- Lay each tortilla flat onto the baking sheet and spread 1 tablespoon of sweet potato on half the tortilla, followed by 2 tablespoons of lentil mixture and top with a light sprinkle of cheese.
- Fold tortillas in half, gently pressing down gently to seal—when I fold mine I usually wrap them in foil to help them stay in form!).
- Spray the tops of the tacos with oil so they get crispy
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tacos are golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with desired toppings while warm!
* Sub your favourite type of cream cheese (dairy works too!)
Keywords: vegan tacos, lentil tacos, sweet potato mushroom tacos, tacos