These healthy fruit mince pies are the ultimate Christmas dessert. They have a simple + wholesome oatmeal shortbread crust and the most delicious carrot and apple fruit mince filling!
- 3 cups/ 300g oat flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cold water
Fruit mince filling:
- 2 apples (250g)
- 1 large/ 100g finely grated carrot
- 1 1/2 cups/ 225g mixed dried fruit*
- Zest of 1 orange
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (from 1 orange)
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine all the ingredients for the mincemeat in a pot.
- Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, making sure to stir every now and then. Make sure not to boil too fast, just a slow gentle simmer.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool before adding to the crust.
- Preheat oven to 160C/ 350F and grease a standard 12 cup muffin tin plus 2 extra muffin cups.
- In a large bowl combine the oat flour, egg, oil and egg. Mix well with fingers.
- Slowly add water and kneed with fingers to form a soft dough. It will start to firm up*
- Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper and cut into circles large enough to cover the base and sides of your muffin holes. Use your hands to press them down around the sides, creating a cup. Stab the bottom of each crust with a fork so it can breathe while baking.
- Fill the crusts with 1 heaped tablespoon of the fruit mince.
- Roll out rest of the pastry and cut out in the shape of stars.
- Arrange stars over the top of the mince pies
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until golden.
- Cool completely before eating and enjoy.
* I used 1 cup/ 150g raisins and 1/2 cup/ 75g dried cranberries.
Keywords: healthy fruit mince pies, fruit mince pies, carrot and apple fruit mince pies