Indulgent, sweet and healthy red velvet cake made with all gluten free and nut free ingredients. Secretly packed with fresh beetroot, bananas, oat flour and cocoa powder for a healthier spin on the classic.
- 2 cups/ 200g grated beetroot (about 2 beets)
- 1 cup/ 250g mashed banana
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup monk fruit sweetener or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ½ cups/ 250g oat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350F/ 180C and line an 8×8-inch pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the beetroot, mashed banana, eggs, oil, vanilla until well combined.
- Fold in the oat flour, cacao, monk fruit and baking powder. Mixing well so there are no clumps.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes (insert a toothpick to check its cooked through)
- Rest the cake on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before icing. Slice and enjoy!
I topped the cake with my classic yoghurt frosting
Keywords: beetroot cake, red velvet cake