This Mediterranean black bean salad is quick, flavourful, and versatile. With a simple balsamic dressing, it’s ready in under 10 minutes, making it the perfect light main or healthy vegetarian side dish.
I love Mediterranean style salads. Like LOVE! They are so refreshing, flavourful and delicious. Especially the combination of ingredients in this Mediterranean black bean salad, it is so satisfying!
We use budget-friendly canned black beans, along with in-season produce and pantry staples like artichokes and olives. These ingredients are paired with savoury feta cheese and dressed in a simple balsamic vinaigrette. You can easily customise it depending on what you have on hand. It’s a nutritious, hearty, and incredibly simple dish to prepare!
Ingredients you’ll need:
This Mediterranean black bean salad has a combination of both fresh produce and simple pantry items.
- Black beans: I recommend using canned black beans to make this recipe super easy to put together in a pinch.
- Tomatoes: They add sweetness and a vibrant contrast to the greens. I recommend cherry or grape tomatoes for their visual appeal and ease of use, but any type will do.
- Red onion: Adds a bite to the salad, creating some contrast in flavor and texture to the sweeter cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Cucumber: Use thin-skinned varieties like English, Lebanese, or Persian. They’re sweeter than traditional cucumbers, and you don’t have to peel the skin or scoop away the seeds.
- Basil: Adds freshness and herby flavour, ideal for summer. Substitute with parsley or mint if needed.
- Artichoke Hearts: I used jarred artichoke hearts, but marinated or canned will work as well.
- Feta cheese: For the perfect salty touch.
- Olives: You can use any olives of your choice, but I prefer Kalamata olives for this dish.
- Arugula (rocket): I love to use this peppery green for a Mediterranean-style salad; it brings a lot of flavor to a simple salad.
- Balsamic: It helps to balance out the flavours and really adds to that Mediterranean vibe. You could use red wine vinegar or use apple cider vinegar if needed.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic for the dressing.
- Olive oil: Extra virgin olive oil helps to create the vinaigrette.
How to make this Mediterranean black bean salad
Gather and chop the vegetables: Chop the onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, artichokes, olives and basil leaves. Rinse and drain the canned black beans.
Dressing: Whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a small jug to combine.
Combine: Add everything into a large bowl, pour over the dressing and toss to combine.
Variations and substitutions
This black bean recipe is seriously so versatile. Here are a just few ways you can easily upgrade it:
- Arugula. Use spinach or mixed greens in place of the arugula.
- Protein: If you’re not vegetarian you can add chicken, canned tuna (or salmon), or even some chickpeas to the recipe for extra protein.
- Other vegetables: Add chopped capsicum, roasted red pepper or chunks of avocado for a lovely creaminess.
- Grains: to make this sale more hearty and filling add cooked quinoa, brown rice, your favourite pasta or orzo.
You can store leftover Mediterranean black bean salad in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
Yes, but it requires extra preparation. Soak the beans overnight, cook them until tender (about 1-1.5 hours), cool them, and then use them in the salad as a substitute for canned beans. It’s a cost-effective option, but remember to plan for soaking and cooking time.
I recommend using thin-skinned cucumbers like English or Persian / Lebanese varieties as they don’t need peeling or the seeds to be scooped out. These can be found in most grocery stores.
Yes, since it doesn’t have lettuce, it won’t wilt, even with dressing. However, be mindful that the cucumbers may become soggy after a day. For parties or entertaining, prepare it the morning of or add the dressing just before the event. To maintain crunch, cut the cucumbers into larger ½-inch pieces.
More Mediterranean style recipes
If you try this Mediterranean black bean salad recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
This Mediterranean black bean salad is quick, flavourful and versatile. With a simple balsamic dressing, it’s ready in under 10 minutes, making it the perfect light main or healthy vegetarian side dish.
- 2 cups arugula (rocket)
- 1 Lebanese/ Persian cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted + choppped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Chop the onion, tomatoes, cucumbers, artichokes, olives and basil leaves. Rinse and drain the canned black beans.
- Whisk the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a small jug to combine.
- Add everything into a large bowl, pour over the dressing and toss to combine.
Store leftover salad in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight container.
- Serving Size: 4 servings
- Calories: 173
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Protein: 7.1g
Keywords: Mediterranean, back bean salad, vegetarian