This no added sugar pineapple tofu stir fry is a delicious plant-based dinner that comes together in about 35 minutes. Filled with crispy tofu, pineapple chunks and veggies, and the sauce is naturally sweetened with pineapple juice.
Calling all my takeout friends out there!! I have another epic easy recipe that will make you put down that takeaway menu.
Allow myself to introduce this no added sugar pineapple tofu stir fry!! It’s easy to make, super delicious and makes the best lunch the next day!! Plus, it has simple, healthy ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry and fridge.
It has a DELICIOUS pineapple ginger sauce, crispy tofu, tons of fresh veggies and goes so well over rice to soak up all the saucy goodness! It’s downright addictive and you’ll be going back for seconds (and thirds!).
As far as the stir fry sauce goes, I love finding ways to sweeten my recipes without using cane sugar. Pineapple not only adds beauty to this recipe, but it is so sweet that you don’t need to add any sugar. I used tamari to keep it gluten free and a little hoisin sauce for that authentic flavour. It tastes so incredible that you might never want to order takeout again!
Ingredients you’ll need
This pineapple tofu recipe only uses simple and healthy ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Tofu: Use firm or extra-firm tofu, organic preferred. My favourite for this recipe is tempeh-tofu which is a blended combo of each.
- Capsicum/ bell peppers: Dice both red and yellow capsicums. This adds colour and nutrition to the stir fry. You can also add some green bell peppers if you want.
- Spring onions: Use your favourite type of onion. I added about 3 spring onions to I prefer spring onions in my stir fries.
- Broccoli: Use as much broccoli as you like and chop it up into small florets. The smaller the florets, the easier and quicker it will cook.
- Pineapple Chunks: I used the entire 20-ounce can of pineapple chunks in natural juices in this stir fry. Remember to drain it first and keep the juice to use in the sauce.
- Rice Wine Vinegar: you’ll need about 2 tablespoons
- Hoisin sauce: adds a try authentic flavour
- Arrowroot: to coat the tofu and thicken the stir fry sauce.
- Tamari soy sauce: Use low-sodium if possible
- Ginger + garlic
- Roasted cashews: optional but we are huge fans!!
- Sesame seeds
How to make easy healthy pineapple tofu
Firstly, you will want to chop up everything – the veggies and the tofu.
In a large bowl, sorinkle the tapioca, salt and pepper over the tofu and gently toss together with your hands until each piece is coated.
In a large pan, heat sesame oil. Add coated tofu and cook for 7-8 minutes, flipping halfway. It should be nice and golden, remove it from the pan.
In the same pan, add a splash of sesame oil and spring onion, capsicum, and broccoli. Let cook for another 7-8 minutes or until they begin to soften.
Meanwhile, make sauce by whisking together all sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl.
Let all of this cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
When the veggies are ready, add the tofu back to pan, along with the sauce, cashews and pineapple chunks.
Serve and enjoy!
Can I use different vegetables?
This is a wonderful dish to use up any leftover raw veggies that are in your refrigerator. Instead of broccoli, use some cauliflower florets. You can even chop up and add mushrooms, zucchini or yellow squash to your stir fry.
I also like making it with some snow peas and sliced carrots. Be creative and use any vegetables that you want!
How can I serve this stir fry?
Serve this stir fry over basmati rice, noodles, or even cauliflower rice. The sweet juicy sauce will soak up in the rice and makes it so incredibly yummy!
Otherwise, you can serve it as is or over extra steamed greens.
How to store leftovers
- Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 5 – 6 days.
- Freezer: pineapple tofu is a terrific recipe for making ahead and can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months. For a quick meal, freeze individual portions in resealable freezer bags. Defrost in the refrigerator or on the counter top for a couple of hours before reheating.
- Reheat: Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator and cook on the stovetop over low heat, adding a splash of water to bring back moisture. Heat until warmed through. You can also heat it in the microwave, using 30 second to 1 minute intervals, stirring between, until warmed through.
A few of my other favourite healthy vegan dinner recipes:
If you try this pineapple tofu stir fry recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
This no added sugar pineapple tofu stir fry is a delicious plant-based dinner that comes together in about 35 minutes. Filled with crispy tofu, pineapple chunks and veggies, and the sauce is naturally sweetened with pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 400g/ 14 oz firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- Salt pepper
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 1 yellow capsicum, diced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 15 oz/ 432g can pineapple chunks (in juice)
- 1/4 cup roasted cashew nuts (optional)
- Sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice (reserved from can)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup tamari soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- In a large bowl, sorinkle the tapioca, salt and pepper over the tofu and gently toss together with your hands until each piece is coated.
- In a large pan, heat 1/2 tbsp sesame oil. Add coated tofu and cook for 7-8 minutes, flipping halfway. It should be nice and golden, remove it from the pan
- In the same pan, add remaining sesame oil and the spring onions, capsicum, and broccoli. Let cook for another 7-8 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Meanwhile, make sauce by whisking together all sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- When the veggies are ready, add the tofu back to pan, along with the sauce, cashews and pineapple chunks.
- Let all of this cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve and enjoy!