This crunchy and refreshing carrot and cucumber salad is made with mint and a delicious asian inspired sesame dressing. Ready in just 10 minutes for a flavourful and easy vegan side dish!
This simple carrot and cucumber salad is the perfect side to any meal. It’s wonderfully crunchy, super refreshing and the flavour is just divine. Thinly sliced cucumbers, carrots and onion are tossed with mint leaves and the yummiest simple but DELICIOUS sesame dressing. The key is to let the salad rest for a bit to help tenderise the veggies and allow them and absorb the flavour.
It’s so easy to whip up and has become a household favourite. This Asian inspired cucumber salad is the best accompaniment to any meal or even on its own as a light snack. Its SO GOOD! ????
Ingredients you’ll need:
You only need 9 ingredients to make this refreshing cucumber and carrot salad:
- Cucumbers: Any kind will do, my favourite are lebanese or persian cucumbers. No peeling necessary!
- Carrots: Again, no peeling necessary. Use regular, dutch or even rainbow carrots for a pop of colour.
- Red onion: You can also sub with shallot – just be sure to slice very thinly.
- Mint leaves: roughly chop a bunch of mint leaves.
- Rice vinegar: or white wine vinegar to make the dressing.
- Coconut aminos: You can also use low sodium soy sauce or tamari if you prefer.
- Garlic: use 1 clove or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sesame oil: I used toasted sesame oil here. A small dash really elevates the dish.
- Sesame seeds: Toasted sesame seeds will add the most flavour. You can do this yourself by heating some raw sesame seeds in a small skillet over medium low heat. Shake often, for a few minutes until lightly browned and fragrant.
How to make carrot cucumber salad
Prepare the vegetables. Slice the cucumbers, carrots and onion on a mandolin slicer or in a food processor using the slicing attachment. Remove the mint leaves from the stem.
Salad: in a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced cucumbers, carrots, onion and mint leaves.
Sesame dressing: In a small bowl or jar, combine the rice vinegar, coconut aminos, garlic, sesame oil and sesame seeds.
Combine: Pour the dressing over the salad. Gently toss until everything is covered in the dressing. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes to allow the flavours to absorb.
Serve and enjoy!
Ingredient swaps + tips
- For a less harsh onion flavour: Use spring onions (scallions) instead or give the onion a quick rinse before adding to the salad. To do so, place the sliced onions in a mesh strainer and rinse under hot tap water for 20 seconds, then cold water for 10 seconds.
- Let it sit: For maximum flavour, let this carrot cucumber salad chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving. It’s not essential, but it will allow the vegetables to soak up the sesame dressing. This will also help soften the vegetables slightly, so they have almost a quick-pickled texture.
- Change the texture: Alternatively you can peel the cucumbers, shred the carrots the carrots or even turn them into noodles with a spiraliser.
- Sweet & spicy: Add a little cayenne or red pepper flakes to the dressing. You may also need to add a little maple syrup to balance things out.
What to serve this salad with:
I recommend serving this crunchy cucumber salad alongside your favourite protein! Some ideas that I think would pair well:
- Teriyaki salmon (like my Teriyaki Salmon with Soba Noodles + Broccolini)
- Grilled steak
- Crispy tofu or tempeh
- Grilled chicken breast or chicken drumsticks
How to store
This crunchy salad will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
What dressings can I use on a cucumber carrot salad?
A asian style sesame dressing is used on this salad, and it’s delicious. A honey lime vinaigrette, soy sauce based dressing, or apple cider dressing would also be great on this salad.
How to thinly slice cucumbers and carrots
A mandoline is our best friend when it comes to perfectly even, super thinly sliced vegetables. It’s MUCH faster and more precise than using a regular knife, and it’s super versatile. Alternatively use the slice attachment on a food processor.
Can I make this salad ahead of time?
Yes! You can make this recipe ahead of time. Simply toss the salad with the dressing 20-30 minutes before serving.
Other salad recipes you may like
If you try this carrot cucumber salad recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
This crunchy and refreshing carrot and cucumber salad is made with mint and a delicious asian inspired sesame dressing. Ready in just 10 minutes for a flavourful and easy vegan side dish.
- 3 cups Lebanese or Persian cucumber (about 3)
- 3 cups carrots (about 3-4)
- 1/2 a large red onion
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut aminos or sodium reduced soy sauce*
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Prepare the vegetables. Slice the cucumbers, carrots and onion on a mandolin slicer or in a food processor with a slicing attachment. Remove the mint leaves from the stem.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced cucumbers, carrots, onions and mint leaves.
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the rice vinegar, coconut aminos, garlic, sesame oil and sesame seeds.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Gently toss until everything is covered in the dressing. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes to allow the flavours to absorb.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Leftovers will keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- If using soy sauce, use a low sodium one and add 1 tablespoon maple syrup for sweetness if needed.*
Keywords: carrot, cucumber, salad, mint, asian inspired, sesame dressing