Homemade chicken taco seasoning is super easy, fresh and inexpensive. It’s a blend of common pantry spices and ready in under a minute. Skip the preservatives, fillers, sugar and gluten free.
Once you try my homemade chicken taco seasoning recipe, you’ll never go back to store-bought packets! It’s super easy, fresh and inexpensive. Plus, when you make it yourself, you’re in control of the ingredients.
All you need is a handful of spices that you likely already have in your pantry. Simply whisk them all together, store in a sealed spice jar, and use whenever you are ready! You can also add a bit of cornstarch, potato starch, or arrowroot powder as a thickening agent if you’d like your sauce to thicken.
The salt and spice levels can be adjusted to your liking, avoiding any additives, sugar and preservatives. This recipe makes the perfect amount for 1 kilo or 2 pounds of meat resulting in an ultra flavourful chicken recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need
My chicken taco seasoning mix is made from a handful of fresh spices, including:
- Chili powder: Adds some heat, colour and southwestern flavor. The colour and flavor can vary between brands since it is a blend of a few different varieties of dried chiles.
- Paprika: You can use sweet or smoked paprika.
- Cumin powder: It adds earthiness, aroma and is a key ingredient in authentic Mexican cooking.
- Coriander powder :This makes a tasty addition especially when used with chicken.
- Onion powder: Adds subtle onion notes and compliments the garlic flavour.
- Oregano: I used regular Italian oregano here but Mexican oregano is best.
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
Tips and variations
- Make it mild: Use mild chilli powder.
- Increase the heat: add a pinch cayenne and red pepper flakes.
- Use smoked paprika instead.
- Low sodium taco seasoning: omit or lessen the salt to your desired amount!
- Use fresh spices: Old or expired spices. tend to lose their potency over time especially ground spices. They should have a nice aroma and also make sure to check the expiration dates.
How to make chicken taco seasoning
Once you make your own taco seasoning, you’ll always want the homemade version. The process is quick, so easy and you can easily double or triple the recipe.
Grab all the spices you need from your pantry. Measure each using a teaspoon or tablespoon.
Add the seasonings into a bowl.
Stir all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
Store in a jar.
Ways to use it
- Roasting or grilling vegetables: Toss your vegetables in olive oil, then sprinkle them with the taco seasoning and roast or grill. Try using this recipe alongside capsicum (peppers), carrots & potatoes, cauliflower, and more.
- Grilled meats and seafood: This spice mix functions as a great rub. Just thoroughly coat the meat or seafood in the spice rub and then grill! You can also use it for vegan or vegetarian proteins, like tofu.
- Yoghurt sauce: Mix into yoghurt to create a flavourful spread you can slather on wraps and dollop on tacos.
How to store
You can store the chicken taco seasoning mix in a jar for up to 6 months in a cool, dry place like your pantry. I usually make a large batch so it’s ready to go whenever I need a little taco mix!
They contain many common ingredients and can often be used interchangeably. Regular taco seasoning usually has more cumin and chilli powder, whereas chicken taco seasoning typically uses less cumin and includes ground coriander which is delicious used for poultry.
Absolutely! This seasoning blend is incredibly versatile and can be used with various meats, including beef. It tastes fantastic on beef, chicken, turkey and even shrimp (prawns).
Taco seasoning packets typically contain about 1 ounce by weight or 3 tablespoons. Generally 2 tablespoons of homemade seasoning is equivalent to 1 packet store-bought blend since it does not contain any fillers.
Use about 2 tablespoons for every pound or 500g of meat. You can use more or less depending on your preference.
Taco recipes to try
If you try this chicken taco seasoning recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Homemade chicken taco seasoning is super easy, fresh and inexpensive. It’s a blend of common pantry spices and ready in under a minute. Skip the preservatives, fillers, sugar and keep it gluten free.
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika (sweet or smoked)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt*
- 1/2–1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)*
- Add the seasonings into a bowl.
- Stir all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
- Store in a jar for up to 6 months.
- Makes enough for 1kg or 2lbs of meat.
- Reduce or omit salt to lower the sodium.
- Add cayenne pepper for spicy mix.
Keywords: taco, seasoning, chicken seasoning