A delicious healthy vegan pumpkin bread with nut crumble topping that you’ll make over and over again. Low in sugar and made with simple gluten-free ingredients for a healthy pumpkin coffee cake twist!
It is the beginning of October. So naturally it is time to start talking about every single pumpkin recipe around! ????
Starting with this insanely good vegan pumpkin bread recipe with the most delicious nut crumble topping. One of my new favorite seasonal type of recipes to bake.
Healthy gluten-free pumpkin bread with a nut crumble twist.
There is something about pumpkin bread that truly speaks to my soul. While I do love pumpkin in every form: roasted, in smoothies, lattes, curries, this bread is everything and more. It’s filled with warming spices and has a hearty nut crumble topping that makes it feel so cozy and so comforting to eat.
This vegan pumpkin coffee cake is made with just a few simple healthy ingredients that you likely have on hand already. You only need things like freshly pureed pumpkin or canned unsweetened pumpkin, oat flour, nut butter, maple syrup, nuts and and a few other goodies.
I hope you guys love this recipe as much as I do. It is truly a delicious breakfast, snack, dessert, anything you want it to be.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Pumpkin puree – a must to make this beauty pumpkin-y along with the pumpkin pie spice. I used fresh cooked pumpkin blended in my vitamix, but canned unsweetened pumpkin will work too.
- Oat flour – use certified gluten-free oat flour if needed. Otherwise, try subbing a combo of buckwheat flour or brown rice flour with almond flour.
- Almond butter – any kind of nut butter will work! Not only does it help bind the bread together but it also adds a good dose of plant based protein and healthy fats.
- Maple syrup – or you can use honey. I don’t use much in this recipe so if you want a sweeter bread, add more.
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder, soda + apple cider vinegar – to make this vegan pumpkin bread rise.
- Pumpkin spice – or that delicious cozy pumpkin pie flavour. Can sub with a mix of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Sea salt
- Chopped nuts and seeds – to make the most delicious nut crumble topping ever! I used a combo of almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds. Use whatever you have on hand!
- Melted coconut oil – for the crumble topping.
How to make the best vegan pumpkin bread
This pumpkin bread is very easy to whip together. It only requires three simple steps. Mixing the bread ingredients, making the nut crumble topping and sprinkling the crumble over the bread. You’ll need just over an hour to make this recipe, with the bulk being devoted to oven time. Making healthy vegan pumpkin coffee cake is easy as can be!
- Preheat and Prep: Start by preheating oven to 350F/180C and line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Mix wet ingredients: In large bowl combine the pumpkin puree, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla and apple cider vinegar.
- Now mix dry ingredients: In a separate bowl mix together the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt.
- All together now: add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Loaf pan: Pour the pumpkin bread batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Nut crumble: Now, make the nut crumb topping. In a small bowl mix together the chopped nuts/ seeds, oat flour, coconut oil and maple syrup. Use your fingers to mix everything together. Sprinkle the nut crumble over the bread.
- Bake the bread: cook for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. If the nut crumble topping starts to brown, cover with foil halfway through baking.
Pumpkin nutrition benefits
Pumpkin is an incredible source of vitamin A, with 1 cup of cooked pumpkin providing 245% of your daily needs! With its bright orange colour, pumpkin is loaded with an important antioxidant, beta-carotene which can help to prevent cellular damage.
Pumpkin is also a good source of other micronutrients, like vitamin C, E, B2 (riboflavin), potassium, copper and manganese. Additionally, pumpkin is also a good source of dietary fibre, with 1 cup cooked providing 3 grams.
How to store leftover bread
- Counter: Store the pumpkin bread in an airtight container on the counter in a cool area and are best eaten within 1 – 2 days.
- Refrigerator: Once completely cooled, store the bread in an airtight container, lined with a paper towel (to absorb moisture), for up to 5 days.
- Freezer: Store individual slices wrapped in a freezer safe container or bag in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, defrost a slice in the fridge overnight or microwave for 45 seconds.
A few of my other favourite healthy pumpkin recipes:
If you try this vegan pumpkin bread with nut crumble topping recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Vegan Pumpkin Bread With Nut Crumble Topping
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Amercian
Deliciously healthy vegan pumpkin bread with nut crumble topping. Lightly sweetened and made with simple ingredients for a healthy gluten-free pumpkin coffee cake twist!
- 1 1/2 cups/ 275g (13.2oz) pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups/ 250g oat flour (gluten-free if needed)*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Nut crumble topping:
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts or seeds
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C (160 fan forced) and line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine the pumpkin puree, almond butter, maple syrup, vanilla and apple cider vinegar.
- In a seperate bowl mix together the oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin spice and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl mix together the nut crumb topping then sprinkle on top of the bread batter.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. If the crumble starts to brown, cover with foil halfway through baking.
- Cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
- Replace oat flour with a combo of buckwheat flour or brown rice flour + almond flour to ensure gluten free/ coeliac friendly.
- To make nut free use tahini or sunflower seed butter instead of almond butter, and sunflower + pumpkin seeds for the topping.
- Serving Size: 1 slice (without crumb topping)
- Calories: 175
- Sugar: 4.7g
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 22.4g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Protein: 4.6g
Keywords: vegan pumpkin bread with nut crumble topping, vegan pumpkin bread, gluten-free vegan pumpkin bread, vegan pumpkin coffee cake
Caitlin Rule says
Hi Andrea, to activate the baking soda add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. Will amended the recipe card now. I hope you enjoy the recipe! ????