Healthy cottage cheese egg salad is a delicious, veggie filled version on the classic dish. It’s easy to make, great served as a salad, on bread or lettuce wraps!
Adding cottage cheese to egg salad is the BEST addition ever. I first tried this combo a few months ago and I’ve been hooked ever since. Unlike the classic version, this cottage cheese egg salad is so wholesome, filled with crunchy veggies, herbs and creamy cottage cheese for creaminess.
It is seriously my favourite recipe to whip up for a fast meal. You can enjoy this for any meal of the day – breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I personally love making a batch to enjoy for a quick lunch at home. You can enjoy it as a salad, in a sandwich or ion crackers for light meal.
Once you’ve mastered this recipe, make sure to give my egg salad with pickles a try!
Ingredients you’ll need
For this egg salad with cottage cheese recipe you’ll need eggs, some veggie and a few extras:
- Eggs: This recipe calls for 8 large hard boiled eggs. It is the perfect amount for a decent serving of egg salad.
- Carrots + celery: These veggie additions bulk up the salad and add flavourful.
- Red onion: I love the bite and pop of colour.
- Cottage cheese: The star of the show! This makes this recipe ultra creamy and filling.
- Dijon mustard: Adds a nice little kick and a bit of sharp flavour to this recipe.
- Red Onion: For a pop of red colour and crunchy bite. But you could use thinly sliced green onion as well.
- Lemon Juice: Just a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice keeps the salad fresh.
- Fresh parsley + chives: These herbs pair well with the eggs and mustard. And of course add a pop of green!
Complete list of ingredients and amounts is located on the recipe card below.
Tips & variations
This recipe can be easily customised to suit your preferences and needs, with many options for substitutions and additions.
- For perfectly sliced hard boiled eggs, try using an egg slicer. It makes the process quick and easy.
- Although red onion is my preference, feel free to use any type of onion you like, such as white onion or green onion.
- For extra creaminess, add some chunks of avocado into the egg salad.
- Instead of carrot and celery, you could add a deseeded cucumber and diced red capsicum (bell pepper).
How to hard boil eggs
Place the eggs in a large pot and cover them with 1 inch of water. Bring the water to a rolling boil, uncovered, and let it boil vigorously for 30 seconds. Then, cover the pot and turn off the heat. Allow the eggs to sit for 8-10 minutes, depending on your preferred level of doneness. After cooking, transfer the eggs to a bowl of ice-cold water to halt the cooking process. Once they have cooled down enough to handle, peel the eggs.
How to make cottage cheese egg salad
Start by chopping the hard boiled eggs and veggies into a small dice.
Mix: In a medium sized bowl, combine the chopped eggs, carrot, celery, onion, cottage cheese, mustard, chives, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Gently stir until everything is thoroughly incorporated.
Test: Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
Chill: Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Serve this egg salad on crackers for a high protein snack.
- I love making open faced sandwiches on English muffins or bread rolls.
- To make it a low-carb meal, try serving the egg salad in lettuce wraps, or on a bed on leafy greens.
How to store
Leftover egg salad can be refrigerated in a sealed container for 3-4 days. Give it a good stir before serving.
Extra liquid does accumulate after the salad is stored, but you can easily drain the excess liquid. Alternatively you can stir in an extra egg or two, and it should be good as new.
You can serve this egg salad with pickles straight away or you can put it in the fridge to serve it cold. The most common way we eat egg salad is cold on sandwich bread.
You can serve this egg salad in so many tasty ways! It’s perfect on a sandwich, wrap, in lettuce wraps, or salad. It is also great spread on crackers.
Other lunch recipes
If you try this cottage cheese egg salad recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
Cottage Cheese Egg Salad
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 serves 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Chop
- Cuisine: American
Healthy egg salad with cottage cheese is a delicious veggie filled version of the classic dish. It’s easy to make, great served as a salad, on bread or lettuce wraps.
- 8 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 3/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- Roughly chop the hard boiled eggs and cut the vegges into a small dice.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the chopped eggs, veggies cottage cheese, mustard, chives, parsley, salt and pepper. Gently stir until everything is thoroughly incorporated.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Store: Refrigerate leftovers in a sealed container for 3-4 days.
Keywords: egg salad, cottage cheese, salad
Leave a Reply