The ultimate 15-minute chickpea stir fry with a delicious peanut butter sauce and all the veggies! One of the easiest vegan dinner or meal prep recipes to whip up.
We are OBSESSED with stir fries over here!!! They are quick, easy and a weekly staple in our house for good reason. So, I decided to bring you a simple, chickpea stir fry for your next #MeatlessMonday dinner and damn, IT IS GOOD.
This peanut chickpea stir fry recipe is one of those meals you can really jazz up however you want. It’s made with whatever veggies you have on hand, an incredible peanut stir fry sauce, sesame seeds and a boost of plant based protein from caned chickpeas. What more could you need?
Get ready for an amazing clean out the fridge and pantry dinner to try that takes just 15 minutes!
Ingredients you’ll need
This chickpea stir fry recipe only uses simple and healthy ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Chickpeas: rinse well from a can. Feel free to use any type of canned beans you have!
- Capsicum (bell peppers): I like to use a combo of yellow and red for colour. You can also add some green capsicums if you want.
- Spring onions: Use any type of onion. Personally, I prefer spring onions in my stir fries.
- Broccoli: Use as much broccoli as you like and chop it up into small florets. The smaller the florets, the easier and quicker it will cook.
- Hoisin sauce: adds sweetness and saltiness.
- Peanut butter: for the delicious peanut satay style stir fry sauce.
- Fresh limes
- Ginger: I love freshly grated ginger but ground ginger powder will work well too.
- Sesame oil
- Sesame seeds
How to make the easiest peanut chickpea stir fry
Drain and rinse the chickpeas until there are no bubbles. Set aside
Meanwhile, prep the stir fry and sauce. Whisk the peanut butter, hosin sauce, ginger, lime juice and water together in a small bowl and set aside.
Chop the spring onions, capsicum, and cut the broccoli into small florets.
Add all the veggies to a pan with a little oil and sauté for about 5-6 minutes or until the broccoli is almost cooked. Add in the chickpeas and sauce, and stir together.
Cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat then remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Serve and enjoy!
I like to eat this chickpea stir fry as is or over rice, but you can also have it with quinoa, cauliflower rice, or even noodles! There’s plenty of veggies which makes it nice and filling! I suggest topping it all off with sesame seeds and some chili flakes for a little spice.
How long will it keep? Once prepared, this chickpea stir fry will store in the fridge for about 5 days. Store it in an air tight container to keep it nice and fresh!
Simple ingredient swaps
Missing a few ingredients for this quick and easy chickpea stir fry? No worries! Here are some substitutions I can recommend:
- No sesame oil? Feel free to use coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. Though I will say sesame oil adds a wonderful flavour to the entire dish.
- Swap the hosin: you can also use tamari and a little maple syrup to make the stir fry sauce. I prefer hosin as it’s salty and sweet as is, allowing for less ingredients.
- Get veggie crazy: the best part about this recipe is that you can throw in any veggies you have on hand! These peanut chickpeas would also be delicious with mushrooms, snow peas, bok choy, kale or anything else you need to use up.
- Do I have to use peanut butter? If you don’t like peanuts, you can easily sub the peanut butter for any other nut butter (cashew, almond butter, sunflower seed or tahini).
More easy veggie heavy dinner recipes:
If you try this chickpea stir fry recipe or have a question, please let me know! Leave a comment and rate it below. I love to hear what you think, or any changes you make.Print
The ultimate 15-minute chickpea stir fry with a delicious peanut butter sauce and all the veggies. One of the easiest vegan dinner recipes to whip up with minimal ingredients!
- 3 tablespoons crunchy or smooth natural peanut butter*
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/3– 1/2 cup water, to thin
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ red capsicum (bell pepper), diced
- ½ yellow capsicum (bell pepper)
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed well
- Sesame seeds
- Make the stir fry sauce by whisking the peanut butter, hosin sauce, ginger, lime juice and water together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add all the veggies to a pan with a little sesame oil and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the broccoli is almost cooked. Add in the chickpeas and sauce, and stir together.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat then remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can sub peanut butter for almond, cashew, tahini or sunflower seed butter.
Keywords: chickpea stir fry, vegan, peanut sauce